Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble install new 1.0.14 Practiscore on rooted nook?

Jcizek

Hi everyone,

Have recently rooted a dozen new NST's with the instructions found on tinymicros. Works fine, never could get the market app to work right.... I also have since switched to TouchNooter as a root kit since it's 100 times faster and easier than the one on tinymicros.

Regardles of which root kit, or just about anything else, I cannot get 1.0.14 Practiscore to install!! 1.0.12 installs fine under all circumstances, but 14 gives the "There is a problem parsing package" error every time, under any and all rootkits, rooted from both 1.0 and 1.1 base firmwares (including the same way 12 installed fine, from a stock 1.1.0 image rooted with the tinymicros method and image)

Anyone else run into this? I have wiped this thing out back to stock so many times and re-imaged / rooted it so many ways, I am running out of ideas!!

Thanks all. -James

I rooted my fleet using Chris' Tinymicros procedure. We kind of want all our section clubs devices to all look and operate the same way so that we can dump them all together for a big Lvl2 or Lvl3 match. I didn't even bother with all the jerking around with gmail and youtube to get the market to work. It's totally unnecessary; you don't need the market. I installed dropbox on mine instead, and then just copied the 1.0.14 apk file as downloaded directly from practiscore into the appropriate dropbox folder, accessed it from the nooks and had no problems installing 1.0.14 over the top of 1.0.12.

OK, thanks guys!! Right now 11 of my 12 are rooted with Chris' procedure. To answer jcwren, no, not from the market, I can't get the stupid market search to work right on the rooted box (common problem it sounds like). It's installed via copying apk using AndExplorer. I tried installing 1.0.14 over the top of 12 same way and got the Parse error, also tried to do it on a cleanly rooted nook that hadn't had any version of practiscore on it and it fails. I'll try the dropbox method Bill, I kind of suspect i may not have luck with that either since AndExplorer method fails, but i'll give it a try.

I did try and re-download it from practiscore website a few times just to make sure I didn't have any corruption in download.

Bill, what base firmware did you root on top of? 1.0 or 1.1? This particular nook I am working on was based at 1.1.0 and then rooted with Chris' method and it won't install the 1.0.14...

Thanks! -James

Edited by Jcizek

You can't do base 1.0 I believe according to Chris. Of the several new ones that I bought recently, some were 1.0 and some were 1.0.1. I tried installing the latest B&N 1.2.0 and that causes the root process to fail. I fell back to 1.1 as found in my system backups and that worked. I had a 1.1.2 upgrade at one time (one of mine is at that maintenance level) but couldn't find it again.

I use andexplorer for doing the initial .apk installs (dropbox only, really) from the sdcard, but after the root process is finished, I'm not sure you really need it anymore, but I'm leaving it on mine anyway.

I had the market work on a rooted nook exactly one time only, and it never could find anything I searched for ever again. Since the process for getting the market to work is so haphazard and imprecise anyway, I decided there were far better ways and just said screw the market and skipped all that garbage for getting it to (not) work in the first place.

Well I don't know how it happened, especially on 2 or 3 separate downloads from the Practiscore website, but the file on all 3 of my microSD's was corrupt. I started becoming suspicious that it wouldn't install on a clean nook... sure enough, 7ZIP wouldn't open the APK!! I reformatted one of the microSD's, and re-downloaded the APK. Installs perfectly!

Thanks for the help fellas!

-James

Edited by Jcizek