Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with v-max loading on dillon 550

abn-rgr

Does anyone have the tips on v-max bullets get damaged during the seating station? Im using a 550 and RCBS seating die. Some of the bullets go in and out no problem. Some come out with part of the tip shaved off. Obviously the bullet isnt going up there straight, causing the damage. Need a fix. Thanks in advance.

You may need to fit the seater to the bullet. The problem I had was when seating 68gr Hornady a ring would be embossed on the bullet. The profile was different than the 55gr. My fix was to send the rod and several of the 68's to RCBS and they made a seater for that bullet. The other fix was to put a dab of epoxy in the seater, let is partially set-up, than press the 68gr into the epoxy, creating a perfect fit. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike. The weird thing is the seater matches the bullet profile. I think the plastic tip is catching on the downstroke and shearing a little off. Im not sure if "belling" the mouth of the casing would help, but I dont think you can do that with rifle brass. The dillon powder die doesnt bell the case mouth.

An old trick for this is to melt candle wax into the seater plug to form a (temporary) custom fitted plug. Also if you are nor chamfering the inside of your cases that will certainly help. A chamfer was always a step in single stage rifle cartrige reloading.