Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirty bullets

njl

My latest orders of .45 185gr JHP from PD have what I assume is residual lube on them. They're not obviously dirty, other than that there's quite a bit of corn cob media in the bag with them, but loading a few hundred will totally blacken the fingers that handle them.

I guess the thing to do is tumble them some more, and then give them a good rolling around in the rotary media separator. Does it make a difference if I use corn cob or walnut?

Anyone else have this problem with PD lately?

I actually found that I can get Zero's cheaper, so I just ordered some of those to try out. The zero's I've used in the past were quite clean, and only had a hint of corn cob in the box.

best to clean them before use (ie - above suggestion). your cases should be as clean as possible prior to loading and use within a fire arm. I've found that corn cob media seems to clean better and last longer (IMO). When dust residue begins to build from prolonged use, simply empty out the media into a sealed bag (pillow case works well) and chuck it in the washing machine or a soaking tub, rinse clean and dry. It comes out good as gold.

When dust residue begins to build from prolonged use, simply empty out the media into a sealed bag (pillow case works well) and chuck it in the washing machine or a soaking tub, rinse clean and dry. It comes out good as gold.

Do you also quench your hand cast bullets in your tea pot?

(reference to scene in "World's Fastest Indian")

I did not know anyone had ever washed their media. Kinda blows my mind a little, but way to go as far as solving problems. I wouldnt sweat the lube, it shouldnt be an issue. Wash your hands. Corn cob is good at polishing up finished ammo if it really bothers you.