Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let shooting be shooting

I haven't had a lot of free time in recent weeks but I wanted a shot at some practice time before the Mid-Atlantic Sectional and the Nats. Since going to the outdoor club is a four-five hour commitment, and I don't have that time I've been going to the local indoor range. No holster, no magpouches. I'm shooting everything from high ready, just pushing the gun out to extension and firing when I see the sight picture I need. Paste the two targets evey ten rounds or so, and then change the distance radically --- 25 yards to seven, to 20, to 5 to 15 to 25 to 10 to 25. Shooting some weakhand and strong hand each session; doing a few minutes work with a timer in the middle and near the of each session.

I'm beginning to think that the timer is great for dry-fire and for working outdoors where you can build a part of a stage and practice that part over and over. I'm thinking it has less value when shooting.....

Except for the one stage where I looked at the poppers instead of at the front sight, this worked surprisingly well for me at the Mid-Atlantic....

Thoughts?

I'm thinking it has less value when shooting.....

The activties in Karate are broken up into three groups. Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. Kihon is basics - mostly standing there puching and kicking. Kata are "forms" or a set sequence of techniques. Kumite is sparring. Each are equally important and tested separately even at the advanced black belt levels.

Translated for shooting I would consider Kumite like running a stage, Kata like the classifiers, and Kihon like "shooting." While a karateka should practice basics with the intensity and mind set of sparring, the execution of proper technique is the primary focus.

When "just shooting", I try to perform it with the intensity and mind set of running a stage but with primary awareness tuned to the fundamentals of good posture, weight distribution, sight alignment/steadiness, grip pressures, trigger control (prep, break, and follow through), etc ... I have not found a timer to be helpful for this activity.

I guess this means I agree with you :)