Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Another" AR doubling question...

lksyotas

Hello everyone, I was at the range today and had my AR rifle double on me. Only happened once but it was enough for me to question the reliability of my rifle for future competitions. Was shooting off hand at a 200 yd target gong when it doubled. I had a consistent grip on the rifle and it was tight against my shoulder when firing.

Background: Rifle was assembled by me and has exactly 1970 rounds down range. Mainly 55g reloads. Rifle specs are as follows: Nordic 18" barrel, mil-spec upper, lower, JP LMOS carrier & buffer, stock rifle length spring and stock, Titan comp, Syrac adj. gas block, 1-4x optic. 200 rounds ago I installed a AR Gold trigger set. Previously it had a Timney.

Today's range trip was the first time I used the rifle with the JP LMOS carrier with the rifle buffer. Previously I had BCM full mass carrier and buffer, then the BCM carrier with an empty rifle buffer. Gas block was re adjusted today by closing off the gas and then opening it until I had a reliable cycling rifle that would lock back on an empty mag.

Never had any issues with doubling prior to today. So what do you guys think? Is it a fluke and I inadvertently bump fired the rifle (didn't feel like it)? Or perhaps I have a trigger that has an issue or a combination of the lighter, quicker recoil system with the light trigger. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. I have a few months till the next local season kicks off so I have time to test for reliability. If it ends up being a trigger issue, I might go back to the Timney or try out the Geissele S3G. Thanks for any suggestions!

Could it have been an ammo issue? I went through a doubling spell which turned out to be ammo related. I was using Federal SRP and thought I'd take a shortcut and not remove the mil-crimps from the brass (yeah, I know that wasn't a good idea....). I would get doubles from that ammo batch with my 16" gun (which is probably over gassed), but not with my 20" gun.

Interesting thought,...I didn't think of ammo relationship but who knows...Ammo I was using had brass prep that included PPU 5.56 brass resized and trimmed on my XL650 and then post cleaning, the primer pockets were swagged again with a Dillon swagging tool. I've used this recipe including the actual load data for the majority of my reloads with no issues but ya never know. Thanks for your feedback Bamboo

Could be the primers are soft and causing slam fires. Happens to my buddies ar alot. Switched to the mil spec cci primers and no more issues.

Now there is a thought! I usually load with either Remington 7.5 or CCI 400's (only ones I can get locally.) I've read in the past that the 400's have a softer shell so perhaps this is the culprit. Thanks for the heads up - the primers hadn't even crossed my mind.