Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Weight, Is less more?

ktm300

I another thread I am seeing that 2011's come in a lot of different weight ranges. From just over 33 oz to more than 46oz

I think I am ending up in the less is more camp, in the 33-36 ounce range. I have one that is 33.3 oz and one that is 45.5 oz and the 33 oz gun is just faster for me to transition.

What I feel is the 33 oz gun starts and stops quicker, the 45 oz gun has less felt recoil but my splits are not any better, I am just more comfortable. My two data points are not all that good as one is a great gun and one is just average. I wonder if I shot a high quality 44 ounce gun if my opinion would change.

I think guns in that low 40 ounce ranges are perfect. Now I shoot a heavy Caspian frame with a very light 5" sight tracker slide. To me heavy frame/lower, with a extremely light 5" slide is perfect. I shot 6" guns in the 36 ounce total weigh range for two years and never warmed up to them. To me 5" guns just present and transition much better. Just my opinion.

I think most of us start with heavier guns then move to lighter guns as we progress. I made the move from a heavy 5" to a light 6" earlier this year. Just couldn't shoot the thing well out of the box. Added some weight to it and now it's perfect. I guess the bottom line is you have to play with the weight by adding/removing heavy parts to see what works best for you in terms of splits, transitions, etc.

I wonder if I shot a high quality 44 ounce gun if my opinion would change.

Weren't you shooting a high quality 44 ounce gun in Singlestack....oops, I mean Open, earlier this year.

Hey I won Unclassified Open at SC shooting a minor PF 10 round gun with no comp or dot :cheers:

Helps that everyone shooting Unclassified Open came from SS.