Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Ol 650 and a few questions.

Hello everyone, I pretty much joined the BE forums for this Sub forum and the reloading room thread. I have been lurking for a number of years. What a great forum.

Here is my story. I bought a 650 made in November 1994 in fact the press has a stamped date of October 26th 1994. I was thirty years old at the time and was shooting quite a lot. I traveled for work, and had money to spend (oh, how I miss per diem). Anyway, the press was used for about 4 years. I loaded thousands of 45 ACP's, 9mm's, and .223's. I bought a half a dozen conversions and a butt load of parts to convert to nearly every imaginable caliber from 22 Hornet to 375 H&H Magnum. And I loaded for all of them. I have 7 or 8 tool heads, a couple of Powder throwers, magnum powder bar, and powder dies for all the tool heads etc.

So, in 1997 I took a job in Oregon, and the 650 was placed into a large Action Packer and put into storage. I didn't have the space to set up the press while in Oregon.

Well years go by, I moved back to Idaho in 2001 and bought a house and built a 2600 square foot shop. Lots of space, set up a Rock Chucker, but yet I never set the mighty 650. I could make a lot of excuses why, but I won't.

I've been working on a room in my shop for reloading and tinkering. I'm pretty excited about it, but it is still a long way from being done. It will have plenty of bench space, kitchen cabinets and sink, fridge, bathroom and an indoor kennel and doghouse. I have all the 110 volt power run from a sub panel, and i'm ready to move on to plumbing and a bit of 220 volt stuff for the rest of the shop.

So, after 18 years, I am ready to bring the Ol 650 back to life. Now, I don't remember having many issues with the machine. And, I never bought a case feeder, I just pre-loaded cases into the feeder tube. I have been looking for a list of advancements for the 650 and I have looked at a newer one. But, It is still unclear to me just what the changes have been over the years. I'm planning on buying a case feeder and bullet feeder in the future. I'm also planning on mounting it to a Inline Fabrication Ultramount.

My questions are,

1) What has actually changed in 18 years?

2) Are the changes worth considering?

3) I have read where people have sent there older machines in to Dillon for refurbishment. Should I consider this?

4) Does Dillon still perform this service?

5) What could I expect to pay? ( I have seen anywhere from "free" to $50)

6) What should I include if I send it back to Dillon?

7) And how in the hell would ship the thing without the old box!

Thanks for your input in advance!

I think I bought my 650 in at about the same time as you.

1) I know the power measure has changed, but I like the older one.

The linkage arms have grease fittings. Mine doesn't have any provisions for lubing at all. I just drip LPS2 in the gaps and have not experienced any problem.

Case feeder changed.

Probably a bit more minor tweaks, but I haven't been keeping up.

2) I would say run the machine as is and then if you have a problem, upgrade.

3) See 2.

4) Yup.

5, 6, 7) Don't know.

I would highly recommend getting the case feeder.

And for your most reloaded cartridge, a Mr Bulletfeeder.

Thanks for your input major9.

And your correct, I do need a case feeder.

I've been wondering about the platform, the part number from my manual is 12796. From looking at pictures of the newer XL650's this part appears to be thicker and more robust. I know that the spent primer cup bracket mounts to the platform, and they have changed the spent primer system. I just wonder why the difference in thickness on the platform under the shell plate? From the manual I found online, version 6.1: the platform part number is 16652. The platform is different and the spent primer system is different. But, it looks as thou the rest of the parts have the same part numbers as far as the platform assembly goes. And as you pointed out, the case insertion and cam slide appear to be different. It looks like the priming system part numbers are still the same.

BRC

I was wondering about the platform myself. I've only seen pictures or video. The new platform looks much thicker. Looks like about 3/4 inch thick aluminum.

Mine is at most 3/8, but in steel. Not sure why the change. Maybe cast aluminum vs machined steel for cost.

Or maybe the "thickness" is just a skirt, as I don't see how the same indexing ring can work for both. Unless the indexing ring PN is different also.

Anyone care to chime in?

The early platforms were steel, and under unusual circumstances, the extension the case feed plunger slides on could bend down. We since changed the platform design. Contact us for a #22060 650 platform kit, under warranty. Same ring indexer works for both platforms, FYI.