Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in a 38 super barrel revisited

Whoops!

Hi all, running through all the topics and doing it myself, I have some unanswered questions about this topic.

Has anyone ever personally ruined a barrel due to shooting factory 9mm luger in a 38 super barrel? If you ruined it with handloads, were they major power factor?

Is it possible that some aftermarket .38 super barrels headspace 9mm off of both the extractor and the BASE of the case? I believe some aftermarket 38 super chambers can be as tight as .390", the largest part of the case of the 9mm is approximately .391".

Hi all, running through all the topics and doing it myself, I have some unanswered questions about this topic.

Has anyone ever personally ruined a barrel due to shooting factory 9mm luger in a 38 super barrel? If you ruined it with handloads, were they major power factor?

Is it possible that some aftermarket .38 super barrels headspace 9mm off of both the extractor and the BASE of the case? Yes. I believe some aftermarket 38 super chambers can be as tight as .390", the largest part of the case of the 9mm is approximately .391".

Some 38 Super chambers are a bit tight for 9mm Luger ammo and they will not move very far into the chamber. The concern in these instances is that the 9mm case will expand when fired and get stuck in the chamber.