Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cap n ball shooters

Ultimo-Hombre

After a quick look didn't see anything devoted to the old school consumption of holy black. I want to give something back to the forums here but my knowledge of modern competition pistols and methods is a gnat fart compared to some of he active guys here. But I do know quite a bit about pre 1899 revolvers. Anyone else here enjoy relaxing to blackened hands and he smell of history?

As a matter of fact, during a recent trip to Gettysburg, my father randomly purchased a .45 colt pistol. Neither he nor I have any experience whatsoever with this type of gun. We have caps, wads, and round balls. I just need the powder and some sort of measure. Any tips? Can I just buy powder at the local sporting goods store?

First question would be is it a modern replica or a vintage gun? A lot of guys can do a real good job of "aging" a piece for reenacting or just asthetics. For a colt fastest way to tell is location of the serial number. If it is stamped in front of the trigger guard that is a start that it may be vintage. Pietta replicas put he numbers on the butt. I digress.... To shoot her you need .452 caliber balls, use pure lead only. For powder you can shoot real black powder if you can find it. Can be real tough as the Feds regulate it as an explosive so retailers don want to screw with it. That leaves you with goex or 777. As far as black powder substitutes goex p will work just fine. 25 grains is a respectable charge. Remember black powder and substitutes are measured by volume NOT weight! A brass volume measure can be had for cheap. If you use 777 reduce the charge by 15% that stuff is a lot hotter. Either place a lubed patch between the powder and ball or just lube over the ball. For the colt I recommend Remington number 10 percussion caps. Have fun! Will give you a whole new perspective on shooting!