Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light recoil spring / heavy mainspring?

kimberacp

has anyone tried a 10 recoil spring with a maybe 20# main setup in a 2011 shooting 40 major? 180 gr bullet in a 5 inch gun?

someone at the Nationals was shooting something similar to this.

instead of a 10/15 setup like some use or the usual 12/17 setup

thanks

There is a local gunsmith here in Colorado that sets his guns up with a combination like you are talking about.

Somewhere around a 10lb recoil spring or lighter and a 21lb mainspring for 6" lightened slide limted guns.

I am running a 12/17 in my Camerons custom 6" gun, which I think is the most popular weights.

Randy

Suggest you purchase several springs and do a little testing with a friend with a timer to see which set up works best for you. The load your shooting, grip etc come into play. While the 12/17 may be the average good set up you might pick up splits with another set up. 1911 store sells springs at a good price if you buy three or more.

I would stick with one brand as spring rates vary from manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Colorado gunsmith also radiuses (is that a verb?) the FP stop to work with his spring set up.

I am no gunsmith and reserve the right to get smarter....

There is a local gunsmith here in Colorado that sets his guns up with a combination like you are talking about.

Somewhere around a 10lb recoil spring or lighter and a 21lb mainspring for 6" lightened slide limted guns.

I am running a 12/17 in my Camerons custom 6" gun, which I think is the most popular weights.

Randy