Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A confusing bit of information. If you go to the Mec-Gar website and "hit" the "ordering info" it details by state the new regulations for mag purchases.

It lists NO magazines above 10 rounds in NYC, but lists New York State... no magazines above 17 rounds??

So, I'm confused or they are confused...or both. <_<

A number of years ago, Rochester NY passed a law limiting mags to 17 rounds. I'm not certain that is still in effect, however, that could be the source of the limit in that ad.

There is an "Area Championship" impliciation to this.

Area 7 consists of NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT and ME.

Under the A7 rotation policy, NY has the first shot at A7/2005. Also, with the exception of GMPS in Northern Vermont, which I expect will be busy hosting the AWARE for some time to come, there are no clubs in A7 outside of NY and MA which have the combination of facilities and staff to make an Area Championship a realistic possibility.

Under both MA and NY law, it is a unlawful to posess a magazine with > 10 round capacity manufactured after the start of the 1994 federal ban. Period. No "competitors exemption", no "visitors exemption", etc.

I will make sure that the Area Championship information reminds shooters of this, as it would be irresponsible not to provide competitors with full information.

So, for the forseeable future, we will have at least one area championship at which it is not legal to posess newly manufactured > 10 round magazines ("LEO Only" marked Glock mags for example).

Rob

Other forums are talking about in Jan. 2005, after the AWB sunset, the dozen or so republican congress members will cause AWB II to pass. So, once again, the magazines made between Sept.14th and the new law taking affect will be legal grandfathered parts. Do you think that there will be a mad rush with factories working around the clock to stockpile all they can? Also, I wonder if they aren't already doing this in stages and just holding back on marking mag tubes with "for LE only". I hope that we don't ever have another ban, but with all of the idiots being elected to congress you can bet that they will try for another.

Currently, all made in the 1994-2004 ban period and bearing LEO only markings are legal (with the exception of a few states).

If AWB II grandfathers "all currently legal magazines", it would cover those "LEO Only" marked mags from this decade - which would mean that new mags would need a "LEO Only II" marking or something similar. Also, all LEO Only mags in the supply chain which are already manufactured would be legal as well if grandfather was done in the same way it was at the time of the first ban.

If the mags from 1994-2004 were not grandfathered under a new ban, it would be the first time the feds mandated surrender of small arms (even the GCA 1934 and the declaration the USAS12 and Streetsweeper were dd's contained a grandfathering provision for free registration).

Hopefully, all these finer points will remain irrelevant curiosities.

Rob... good point. Think of the backlash, however. I was thinking more along the lines of individuals being prosecuted for a crime... whoops.

I made that point to demonstrate that it is not posisble for USPSA to simply go back to the "good old days" before Bill Ruger introduced the concept of a magazine capacity limit. The sunsetting helps many areas, but there is still one area championship which for all practical purposes cannot be held in free territory.

Just a bit of info on the AK mag thing.

As mentioned the AK47 and AK74 are different calibers, and will not swap.

There is such a thing as a " singlestack " AK, a perversion of the original which will accept only singlestack 10 round mags, all singlestack AK mags are 10 rounds or less.

I think Robinson is using these style recievers to make the VEPR and remachining the mag well to fit doublestack mags. So it probably CAN be done ( but may not be worth it unless you have a spare milling machine laying, around and some free time )

I am still waiting for someone to step up to the plate and start cranking out some real old fashioned HI-CAPS that are really good quality.

Bill Wilson can you hear me ???

Travis F.