Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-8 Chambers

BlueOvalBandit

How common is it for the chambers to be undersized? I was having problems with mine and reloads hanging, so I tested a single one of my reloads with no moonclip 4/6 chambers hang the last 1/8" the other 2 drop in. Read about the chambers being undersized and out of round so I ordered a monson finish reamer and got a chamfer tool from brownells while I was at it. Reamed it last night and HOLY CRAP was it ever bad, I'm blown away I could even get it to reload to begin with, I don't think this thing has ever seen a finish reamer in its life. Once done I went to chamfer it and the brass pilot hangs up about an 1/8" short... ideas?

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Should have sent it to S&W. Their customer service is great. I had a 686 SSR where they neglected to chamfer the charge holes. They emailed me a UPS pickup and I had the gun back in about two weeks all fixed up. I like to tinker and have done many trigger jobs on revolvers but would be afraid to cut metal like that.

Should have sent it to S&W. Their customer service is great. I had a 686 SSR where they neglected to chamfer the charge holes. They emailed me a UPS pickup and I had the gun back in about two weeks all fixed up. I like to tinker and have done many trigger jobs on revolvers but would be afraid to cut metal like that.

I thought about it, but I wanted to shoot a match in 8 days cause it would be the last time I could for 2 months, so I bought the reamer. I'll tell you though, I was scared when I started reaming and saw the flutes fill with metal. I had to stop and triple check I had the 45 acp finish reamer. Funny how I didn't want to chuck the pilot in the lathe to polish a little off after removing so much metal from the cylinder. But it works great now, over 99% of my reloads chamber with ease, every now and then there's a small bulge that makes it a no go in the revolver but works in the stock 1911PC just fine.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit