Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT on the road

JerryShoots

I've seen a few SIRT pistols for sale in the classifieds from time to time and I'd like to learn more before I buy one. SIRT owners please lend me some insight.

- Have you had any problems traveling with the SIRT?

- Should I treat it like a pistol in terms of transporting it and casing it up in states I travel through that don't honor my CPL?

- How easy is it to charge or does it take batteries? Is the life short enough that I should travel with spares?

- Will it fit in most Glock holsters?

- Is there sufficient material to it to drill and tap it for open gun sights? (My open glock has a Trij RMR on it)

- Any problems with yours? Did Next Level give good service regarding any problems?

- Does the slide cycle?

- Is it tough enough to endure a fall?

- Does it need to be cleaned occasionally and if so what cleaning products are safe to use with it?

- Are additional weighted mags available for it and will it accept any empty mags?

Match related questions

- Is it usable as a warm up tool in the safe area or elsewhere at matches?

- Does it fall under the normal safety rules at a match (ie should it be kept cased or holstered on the range and only used in safe areas or under RO/SO supervision)

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen a few SIRT pistols for sale in the classifieds from time to time and I'd like to learn more before I buy one. SIRT owners please lend me some insight.

- Should I treat it like a pistol in terms of transporting it and casing it up in states I travel through that don't honor my CPL?

- How easy is it to charge or does it take batteries? Is the life short enough that I should travel with spares?

- Is there sufficient material to it to drill and tap it for open gun sights? (My open glock has a Trij RMR on it)

- Any problems with yours? Did Next Level give good service regarding any problems?

- Does the slide cycle?

- Does it need to be cleaned occasionally and if so what cleaning products are safe to use with it?

- Are additional weighted mags available for it and will it accept any empty mags?

Match related questions

- Does it fall under the normal safety rules at a match (ie should it be kept cased or holstered on the range and only used in safe areas or under RO/SO supervision)

I can't answer all your questions but I will get the ones I can.

It takes a CR123 battery. You would only really need to ever take one spare because for me a battery lasts about a month, and I dry-fire a lot.

It fits mine just fine, and even clicks in just like the real thing.

- Any problems with yours?

None.

- Does the slide cycle?

Nope.

I have dropped mine (on carpet) several times so yes...

I have never cleaned mine. Like at all.

Yes, you can order them from NLT with the SIRT or separately. For training purposes, they are almost as worthwhile as the whole SIRT. I also use them with my regular Glock for dry-fire with it. I would recommend you get 4-5 to emulate a full match beltload.

I'm sure it would be fine in a safe area, but at that point I'd just warm up with your real gun.

- Does it fall under the normal safety rules at a match

I don't know but when in doubt I'd treat it like a real gun just to prevent heart attacks.

- Does the slide cycle?

Match related questions

I can't answer all your questions but I will get the ones I can.

It takes a CR123 battery. You would only really need to ever take one spare because for me a battery lasts about a month, and I dry-fire a lot.

It fits mine just fine, and even clicks in just like the real thing.

- Any problems with yours?

None.

- Does the slide cycle?

Nope.

I have dropped mine (on carpet) several times so yes...

I have never cleaned mine. Like at all.

Yes, you can order them from NLT with the SIRT or separately. For training purposes, they are almost as worthwhile as the whole SIRT. I also use them with my regular Glock for dry-fire with it. I would recommend you get 4-5 to emulate a full match beltload.

I'm sure it would be fine in a safe area, but at that point I'd just warm up with your real gun.

- Does it fall under the normal safety rules at a match

I don't know but when in doubt I'd treat it like a real gun just to prevent heart attacks.

Screw you dravz.

But what he says is correct. I haven't had any issues with mine either. The back wall of my magwell is missing a chunk though due to "enthusiastic" reloads.

Don't worry about batteries. If it dies, just use it without the laser.

:)

Edited by DonovanM

• 3 weeks later...

The green laser is worth the money. You can see it outdoors. It will pay for itself with ammo savings.

Buy the SIRT magazines. They're made of rubber and much more durable than a real mag. They also have adjustable weights inside. Worth the convenience.

It's a solid and tight product. You might need a punch to remove the pins to change batteries or mess with trigger settings.

Be safe,

DNH

• 2 months later...

USPSA 8.7.2 Competitors are prohibited from using any guns or gun replicas as sighting aids while conducting their inspection (walkthrough) of a course of fire.

I wouldn't bother bringing a SIRT to the range on match day. You can dryfire the real gun in the safety area. You cannot use the SIRT anywhere on the range during a match.