Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Dawson Ice no gap and CMC Power Mags

rvbgtr

Getting a Dawson Ice no-gap magwell. I have been using CMC Power Mags. Looks like I can get a gap insert, but might have issues with seating the mags. Alternatively, I can: (1) get Dawson pads for CMC mags; or (2) modify my existing OEM CMC pads to seat in the no gap insert; or (3) get the extended CMC pads, fit them to the no gap insert and trim to fit the box.

Any thing missing? Any suggestions? Thanks

I find the Dawson basepads to be excellent, and make it easier to not only seat magazines but also to strip a magazine that will not drop free. I use them on my wilson mags. So I would vote option 1.

Option 2 could work, but if you succeed there may not be an adequate amount of pad sticking out to be able to reliably seat the magazine.

Option 3 would work with quite a bit of trimming and shaping, but the Dawson pads are so nice and have the grooves to be able to remove them quickly.

If you really want to use the CMC mags, just get the basepads for them. Otherwise, the Dawson magazines are abaolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend them. I chose to get the new mags vs. getting the basepads for some Wilson ETM's I had and am very happy I did.

I've really been wanting to look into getting one of these on my SS setup. I use wilson mags, all with the large bumper, does anyone know how well they seat with the ice magwell? I mean are the bumpers big enough for me to slam the magazines in properly or do I need to look into replacing them as well?

Also has anybody installed one of these themselves? If so how easy was it? I've been meaning to get on the phone with dawson it just keeps slipping through the cracks.

I can't comment on the magazines, but I believe they should fit as long as you get the "gap" version. If you want to get the "no gap" version, you will have to either use Dawson's basepads or Dawson's magazines.

As for the installation, it took me probably 30 minutes. It wouldn't fit in my Spartan so I had to file and sand down the MSH until it fit, it's really tight now. Overall, a very easy job, even if you aren't skilled. If it's tight, use a marker (sharpie) or dykem to mark the MSH and you'll know where material needs to be removed (if any).

I can't comment on the magazines, but I believe they should fit as long as you get the "gap" version. If you want to get the "no gap" version, you will have to either use Dawson's basepads or Dawson's magazines.

As for the installation, it took me probably 30 minutes. It wouldn't fit in my Spartan so I had to file and sand down the MSH until it fit, it's really tight now. Overall, a very easy job, even if you aren't skilled. If it's tight, use a marker (sharpie) or dykem to mark the MSH and you'll know where material needs to be removed (if any).

Thanks I've been hoping to run into someone who's got one under their belt. I've got an array of files and sand papers so if thats all it took I'd feel comfortable doing it.

I'm using the no-gap well and the Dawson no-gap pads. They've worked great for me. No clue on fitting the box, I'm told they do, but I haven't had an official box to test it with.

So far so good.

I had some of the old style CMC's with the welded on bases that I tried hacking on to make work.....no go. Big pain in the neck and in the end, I created a couple mags I was concerned with seating/ejecting properly and consistently, so I opted for the piece of mind and bought the new CMC's that work with the Dawson no-gap pads and I haven't looked back.

Byron

I have two. Love 'em. I put dawson basepads on my wilson mags. Runs like a top. I went with the "gap" well so that I could still use my 10 rnd wilsons for L10, HM, and unsanctioned matches. Also allows use of standard mags in a pinch and I picked up a "no-gap" insert that fills that gap when using the Dawson basepads. Install was cake even for someone with zero 'smithing experience. Like I said, liked the first one so much that I got a 2nd for my TRP.