Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

variable recoil springs!

Rosshooting

I have a question about recoil springs. I have received a kit of extra power recoil springs for my Sig so I made some tests. Manufacture rate of the spring is 15 Lb. and when I put 18 Lb. the recoil became more quick but of the end of the recoil the barrel made small move down (for the faster return of the slide I think) so in that case I loose the look of the front sight for a moment ( because it dives down ). Is it normal with heavier spring? I think that I found the balance in 16 Lb. spring so I have more smooth recoil and look at sights during all the movement. What do you think?

Powerman,

I guess if you search in the forums you'll find this test to determine if the recoil spring you are using is adequate or not.

Put a target in front of you @ no more than 3 m and fire two shots the fastest you can, from your freestyle stance.

If the shots group on the same horizontal plan, the recoil spring is adequate.

If the second shot prints below the first one, you are using a too heavy recoil spring,

If it prints higher than the first one, you have a too light recoil spring or a too heavy main (hammer) spring.

Hope this helps.

It's the shooter that dips a sight down to the target [or past the target]. It's not the spring. MattB, Max, and several other top GM's have flat stated this.

Keep shooting whatever spring you installed & it will eventually react the same as your previous spring. However you may "feel" better or struggle less with one particular weight of spring & it's fine to use it if the gun runs.

Test for short-cycling by shooting weak-hand-only, also arms bent & shooting around a barricade. If the gun pukes you need less spring.

A range of spring weights will work, for each gun/shooter combo. In general, use the heaviest hammer spring feasible and the lightest slide spring feasible & you will have the quickest-shooting setup.