Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal major load with 180gr bayou bullet

hab25

I love the Bayous as well!! I've had great luck with Bullseye loaded at 4.7 or 4.8 depending on OAL.

I had a bunch of Universal Clays and when I started with a new batch of Bullseye, they metered nearly identically and gave very similar results. Bullseye was only a little cleaner.

Lots of people really live the VV, but there's something to be said for powder that's sold nearly everywhere powder is sold..

• 3 weeks later...

Been running 180gr Bayous and 4.3gr Tightgroup for the past couple thousand rounds. I've been extremely pleased with the results. 4.3 is close to min, so no chance of pressure issues and recoil is very soft. The coating on the Bayous, seems to be holding up well to the high temps produced by Tightgroup and smoke is minimal. Barrel is cleaning up nice with a bore snake. 4.3gr and 1.180" OAL is producing 170pf our of my 5" STI.

5-5.2grns of Universal will get you there with most bullets. I don't like it with lead though as it is a bit smokey. I mostly use Silhouette as it will work with lead or any 180grn or lighter bullet. 5.8-6grns will get you where you want to be for major.

Clays with a 180 for minor... about 3.1 or 3.2grns will run most guns.

When I used to use Universal I was loading in the area of 5.0 grains at 1.180 with 180 grain BBI molys and jhps at major pf. Didnt care for the sharp recoil impulse but the powder was clean burning and made some of my most accurate loads. HP38/231 is a good all around powder that should be found just about anywhere and has an OK recoil impulse.

• 2 weeks later...

HP38/231 is a good all around powder that should be found just about anywhere and has an OK recoil impulse.

+1 I use HP38 for minor PF 3-gun loads and major PF USPSA loads. It works great in my 2011. My OAL is 1.135" because of a shorter chamber in my Clark barrel, but I've shot HP38 in other 2011's with longer chambers as well with excellent results.