Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot my first match..

JeremyV

OK guys so I posted on here awhile back about magazine changes and a few other training things that I was working on before my first match... we had a few disagreements on when. I should do my first match and my general training strategies.. and I know several of you wanted me to post how the first match ended up going.. well it was a local club match so no devisions. I'm shooting stock with an xdm and was shooting against several guys. With limited guns with race holsters and the wnext hole bit.. first stage was vice president.. I shot 9 A's and 3 C's I was a little nervous so was not shooting as smooth as I would have liked.y

next stage I shot all A's and felt it went good i got a fast draw and good grip on the gun.

Next stage was a bit of a challenge started off with 4 Popper's in two rows so you shoot the first one it drops and then you can see the one behind it. Not wanting to sit there forever for it to fall i shot the left one the the right then back to the left only to find out the first one did not fall... i shot it three more times before it fell. Then in typical fassion i got freaked out and shot the rest of the stage too fast.. last stage had 15 targets LoT's of movement and many different ways to shoot it. I spent an hour walking through the section in my mind as well as waking it in person. I shot the stage fast but had a bad primer so had to drop the magazine eject the bad round and draw a new magazine.. this time I kept my head on straight and shot the rest of the stage as good as I could..

I was really happy with my mental state during this stage and very happy with my magazine changes and movement..

All the training before the matcheck really paid off and I was able to deal with the failure without losing much time I shot all A's

and 3 C's

Overall I had a blast and ended up 7th out of 30 shooters so was really pleased with my results considering everything..

So now the fun part. What I learned and how this affects my training

First off I need more accuracy. My speed was good but I could have slowed down just a Tad and ended up with a slightly better score. My movement and stage planning were by far my strong point. Whenever we had to move I was by far the fastest and was able to get on target quickly.. my draw and magazine changes were plenty fast.. my double taps were slow.. need to replace my trigger with a powder river.. And work on shooting closer targets fast..

Anyway wanted to thank everyone who has helped me out so far and any suggestions for improving my accuracy would be great.

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyV

• 2 weeks later...

Steel are like cats. They demand respect and if you don't respect them, they'll disrespect you back and stand there mocking you. You're punishment is seconds added to your time. One shot, one kill for steel...always.

You can move, you've got the athletic ability, so shooting all A's won't cost you any more time. In practice you should be really pissed when you shoot C's, and D's should be treated like mikes. The A zone isn't really the A zone as outlined on the target by perforations; it's an area with in the A zone just above the A that is about 2 1/2 inches square. The medium size yellow sticky notes are the same size. Stick them on your practice targets....that is your new A zone.

I'm excited for you. You will do well!

Edited by grapemiester