Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone know the thread of a Witness Compensator?

kneelingatlas

only sure ways unless you are really familiar with them is measure the mag or the barrel. as a general rule the large frame standard capacity mags have a plastic base plate and the small frame standard capacity mags have a metal base plate, but there are variations on the small frame mags like the 10rd small frame mags I have have plastic base plates that stick into the mag tube to limit capacity.

On the bright side if you want a cone comp you can fit a large frame barrel to a small frame gun, the only differences I can find in the barrels are the barrel dia, I have stuck a small frame barrel in a large frame gun to see if it would fir and everything is fine except for the gap where the barrel goes through the slide.

And again, no caliper atm but just looked at the barrel on a tape measure (obviously not all that great) and the od of the barrel is just over 9/16. And the back edge of my mag is just over 3/4, not quite 13/16. Sorry if the pictures dont help...and im sure my measurements are something to be desired also. Until I get to the shop to reload saturday thats aboit the best I got

Edited by NESanders311

If you wanted to do a cone comp and reuse the barrel you have, here's what I would do:

-buy a conefit Thundercomp 2 (http://www.1911store...undercomp2.aspx)
-turn the end of your current barrel down to .575" (it's 15mm right now, or .591")
-thread it .575X40 to match the comp
-open up the front of the slide like a Limited to accommodate the cone fit barrel and pull it out the front (need to use Henning's guide rod bushing: http://henningshoots...upperparts.html)

Although I don't think I would put that kind of dough into a $300 plastic gun, but that's just me; I don't have any way of knowing how well the poly frame would hold up to major loads (assuming that's what you want to shoot), not to mention the light weight scalloped slide on the polys.

Are you going to do this work yourself?

I would do as much work as I can myself. Probably do the threading and slide opening. Just not sure about cutting, and recrowning a longer barrel if my current barrel does not work out.

I dont think I would shoot major PF rounds, but I like to cook up a little hotter than average rounds. 1350 fps with a 125gr just seems a bit much. Im not sure I will ever end up in an open steel shoot, but I like to shoot steel quickly with my dad and buddy, as well as doing some bullseye punching. Its all about fun for me, not to mention im rarely out of this semi long enough to do any real competitive shooting.

I really do appreciate all the knowledge being passed to me though, you guys are the most knowledgable and nicest folks I have spoken to in a while. I will definitely post the actual measurements saturday when I get back home and have my calipers in hand. Hopefully that barrel is 15mm!

Why cant EAA just sell a 5" barrel...it would solve my problem at least! ;-)