Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 92 frankenguns legal for IDPA/USPSA?

shootist26

Like a lot of Beretta 92 enthusiasts, I am less than pleased with Beretta's decision to stop producing the 92G series of guns.

To remedy this, I purchased a 92G slide to put on my 92FS frame. I also have a 92G Centurion slide on my 92FS Compact frame (for carry). The two FS frames sit in the back of the safe unless I am shooting a match, because I was always under the impression that this sort of "frankengun" modification was not legal for IDPA and USPSA. The frame is the serialized component of the 92.

Is my assumption right? I took a look at the rulebooks and couldn't see anything explicitly prohibiting that.

Edited by shootist26

From my understanding it would be legal for USPSA (not sure in IDPA), as it's another factory part. That's the reason why extended mag releases from the Glock 34 are legal on the Glock 17 though no other extended release is legal.

I know you can't change the caliber even with factory parts (so a Glock 22 slide atop a Glock 17 would be illegal for example), but I think that aside from that swapping any parts between factory guns is fine.

Did Beretta ever make a 92FS with a decocker?

Yes. My 92FS has a decocker. I'm not that familiar with the platform but I had thought all of them were deockers.

EDIT: Wait, you're referring to a decocker-ONLY and not a safety/decocker aren't you? Sorry. I was thinking decocker vs cocked n' locked. In that case I think all the 92FS models have safety/decockers.

Edited by MGMorden

Yes. My 92FS has a decocker. I'm not that familiar with the platform but I had thought all of them were deockers.

EDIT: Wait, you're referring to a decocker-ONLY and not a safety/decocker aren't you? Sorry. I was thinking decocker vs cocked n' locked. In that case I think all the 92FS models have safety/decockers.

Yes, I'm referring to decocker only.

Yes, I'm referring to decocker only.

yes, all the 'G' variants are all decocker only. They were special run variants mainly for police/military contracts back in the 80s and 90s. As a result, they are difficult to find now-a-days. They are really the ideal setup as it prevents the very real possibility of accidently engaging the 'FS' safety.

Versions made include:

92G

92G Centurion

92G Compact

92G Vertec

92G Elite I/II

92G Brigadier

I'm aware of the difference between the FS, G and D models.

I'm betting that Beretta never sold a FS frame mated to a G slide. Therefore, they couldn't possibly have met the 2000 produced requirement for Production Division.

It's my opinion that what the OP is asking would not be legal for Production.

I'm aware of the difference between the FS, G and D models.

I'm betting that Beretta never sold a FS frame mated to a G slide. Therefore, they couldn't possibly have met the 2000 produced requirement for Production Division.

It's my opinion that what the OP is asking would not be legal for Production.

The FS and G frames are exactly the same. You would have to research the serial number to see if the frame was sold in "original factory condition" as a G model and not an FS. That's assuming you could even do that at all...