Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to find a good DVD format camcorder. Problem is that I have NO idea which brand might be considered good or bad.

Can anyone suggest a decent DVD Camcorder? It needs to be user friendly as far as downloading to full size DVD or computer.

I went for a Sony (DCR TRV33E) (min DV) last year and I am very pleased with it.

One of the things that I thought would be really useful was a camera that could also take digital stills but as a separate function to the video. There weren't so many to choose from. The Sony that I ended up with takes stills and saves them separately to a Sony memory stick. In practice this has proved to be a great asset and I've used it a lot. I only have to take a single compact camera for virtually all occasions. The only downside is that the stills are only 1 megapixels.

If there was an alternative available now, and if I was still looking, then I would pay the extra and go for 2 or 3 megapixels.

Don't buy a DVD camcorder, at least not for now.

I work for a company that makes underwater housings for scuba diving and here's our FAQ on camcorders. http://www.usvh.com/Cameras.html

A quick reason why not to get one is, it uses a special smaller DVD. On the highest quality setting, you only get 20 minutes of recording time. We thought the idea was good until we looked into it.

You are better off with a MiniDV.

If you want a good camcorder that takes pretty good still pictures, try the PC-330. It will take a 3 megapixel stills. Just remember while small camcorders are appealing, they are harder to hold steady. Imagine light gun vs. heavy gun.