Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm CZ Mags

kneelingatlas

What mags are you all running in your Open CZs? I know the 170mm base pad from CZCustom gets 29 rounds of 9mm, but what about 140mm mags? Do you run all big sticks? I know the +3 base pads from CZCustom (http://czcustom.com/cztacticalsportextendedbasepadsilverspring-1.aspx) work on .40, but not 9mm because the ribs in the mag don't go all the way down and the stagger gets too wide. The Czechmate comes with two 20s and a big stick, but are the 20s worth it?

All these questions come out of the fact that I shoot a .40 TS in Limited and love it, but dream of building a comp'ed upper just for the fun of it. I shoot out of the box BVAC ammo which makes major easily and I don't currently reload so I'm not nuts about the idea of 9major. I know the advantage of 9mm is the capacity, but if the only option is 20rnds or big stick, what's the big advantage? The 140mm mags in .40 hold 20 and I'm thinking if I get the 170mm 9 mag, mill out the grooves, and open the lips, I should be able to fit 23-24 rounds of .40.

So what is everyone carrying for their CZ 9s?

IF you can get 23 rounds in a 140mm and 29 rounds in a 170mm what more do you need?

No, the +3 gets it to 20 from 17 in a 140mm .40 mag.

As far as I know, the options are:

.40 Major - 20rnds in 140mm, 23-24 in 170mm, off the shelf ammo

9mm Minor - 20rnds??? in 140mm (this is what I'm really asking about), 29 in 170mm, off the shelf ammo

9mm Major - " ", start buying reloading equipment, ask the wife to put the kids to bed by herself while I play with ammo in the garage...

IF you can get 23 rounds in a 140mm and 29 rounds in a 170mm what more do you need?

No, the +3 gets it to 20 from 17 in a 140mm .40 mag.

As far as I know, the options are:

.40 Major - 20rnds in 140mm, 23-24 in 170mm, off the shelf ammo

9mm Minor - 20rnds??? in 140mm (this is what I'm really asking about), 29 in 170mm, off the shelf ammo

9mm Major - " ", start buying reloading equipment, ask the wife to put the kids to bed by herself while I play with ammo in the garage...

I completely missed the .40 part.