Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.355 or .356?

Newguy

Back problems make it hard for me to bend down, so I'm thinking about rebarreling my .38 super to 9mm and leaving the brass on the ground.

I'm almost out of bullets and need to order some soon. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure about converting because of the potential pressure/feeding issues in the 9mm. If I do convert, I don't want to get stuck with thousands of rounds of MG .38 super (.356) that won't fit a 9mm chamber. If I end up buying 124 gr. 9mm bullets (.355) will I experience any downsides like less accuracy if I use them in a .38 super? BTW, although I'm a fairly experienced reloader, I'm new to reloading for open.

The one guy in our club that shoots .38 only loads .355 124gn and 147gn 9mm copper coated (CMJ) bullets in his STI. Accuracy is less than 25mm at 25m off hand so I do not see a prob - It all depends on your barrel of course....

Buy a couple of hundred and test them. If you shoot FMJ/copper bullets I see no prob... .355 lead might be less accurate than .356 ....as I said test a couple :P - shooting is FUN :D

Most newer super barrels are actually cut for .355 bullets not .356 bullets.

Unless you slug your barrel you don't really know for sure though. I only shoot .355 124gr zero's in my super. But am switching to 115gr in the 9mm major I am building.

when i got my open gun a few months ago i ran .355 bullets in my 355

Schumann barrel. before going to the .356 bullets im shooting now i asked the maker/gunsmith if this would be a problem at all. He stated that most .355" bullets are around .3555" in dia. and switching to a .356" bullet is only .0005" larger that it wont be an issue.

• 6 years later...