Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New frame for RIA 1911?

thumper64

I bought a very lightly used RIA Officers 1911 (9mm) from a friend for $400, with nicer grips, about 300rds of ammo, 4 magazines, holster, and some internal work. He said he had something like $600 in the gun alone.

Before I could take possession of the gun (I had to renew my FOID, thank you to the incredibly slow state of Illinois), he and his wife started going into a divorce. So she filed an order of protection, so he had to turn the FRAME of the gun into the court I believe.

Since he was able to keep the barrel and slide and such, can I just get another frame from Armscor or RIA, assemble the gun again, and have the same quality gun? I would imagine being a mass produced gun, it would just be able to be thrown right together? Or are they hand assembled and it will need significant work by a gunsmith like a Les Baer or such would?

The other option is I have to wait until the first of October before he can give me the money back.

Actually, there is a decent chance it will work, if you can obtain a frame. You will probably need to do some tweaking with the internals, though, even if the slide goes on.

Another low-cost option might be an Essex frame. Their quality has greatly improved in recent years.