Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger pull fundamentals?

jaggy13

I'm at 3400 rounds today with my 9mm STI build and loving it!

I'm finally starting to get used to it and have been really focusing on my fundamentals as of late.

One thing I hadn't really worked on much until now was my hand and trigger finger position.

I have a high grip and have double undercut the trigger guard. I'm noticing that my trigger finger is still contacting the top of the frame when I pull the trigger.

On my Glock this was never an issue because of how the trigger pivoted.

The STI on the other hand seems to have that contact point.

I've never really spent much time working on it with a pistol but noticed it today doing drills.

I'm currently using the standard STI medium curved trigger. To ensure I don't have any contact with the trigger guard or frame I have to put the pad of my finger on the very bottom curved edge of the trigger.

I have used long flat triggers in the past but that was more for comfort that correct fundamentals.

My hand shape is longer than wide. I have long fingers and with a long trigger gun pointed straight up take up slack the pad of my finger is parallel to the ground. With Medium curve its past parallel pointing more toward ground than sky. (short is to short, I miss the trigger reset)

Should I address the contact point my finger is making with the frame?

My thoughts are different trigger shape or lower grip.

I like the higher grip and have read about the Enos curved trigger.

I know enough to know others know more than myself on the subject so I defer to the group.

Should I address it at all? With parts? With practice?

What are you thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I think my hands are similar to your's. I use flat triggers on all my 1911's, and to get the same feel on the 2011's, i use the short/flat trigger insert.

I tried a long/flat insert that came with one of my 2011's, but just didn't feel right.

anyways, is this similar to how your hands are?

1055456197_mW3LE-L.jpg

1055456634_mWAiv-L.jpg

i don't have any issues with it, so i don't worry about it.

on another note, when i shoot with my support hand, my trigger finger isn't and angled.

I asked myself the same question about a year ago when I started shooting 2011 ( I only use long flat on 1911). So, I got a measuring tape and I measured from the front of the trigger to the back center of the mainspring housing on my trusty 1911. I then made my STI 2011 match the same distance. Funny thing, it too is a long flat! I got the plastic flat blank and hit it with a file a few times because I just couldn't accept the fact that the difference was negligible. Anyway, dry firing and slapping the trigger like boldaslions said, without disturbing the sight picture is the goal. You should do whatever is needed to achieve it. My accuracy when shooting slow has never been an issue but for running and gunning I have personally found long flat works best for me. I also put a good amount of finger on it because that what works for me. You have to find what works best for you as i don't believe this is a one size fits all. Hope it helps and good luck to you!

Quack, that's a great picture similar to how my hand fits. I'm getting the same contact as your picture with the frame in the top of the trigger guard.

I was using a long flat 10/8 trigger in 2 single stacks before.

The long flat feels great, just not sure it's fundamentally correct....

I've been slapping away for a while now and it's done great things for my field coarse game.

My classifieds and static shooting is atrocious however. It's time to square away the fundamentals and figure out how to "do it right".

At least that's the goal!

Quack, that's a great picture similar to how my hand fits. I'm getting the same contact as your picture with the frame in the top of the trigger guard.

I was using a long flat 10/8 trigger in 2 single stacks before.

The long flat feels great, just not sure it's fundamentally correct....

I've been slapping away for a while now and it's done great things for my field coarse game.

My classifieds and static shooting is atrocious however. It's time to square away the fundamentals and figure out how to "do it right".

At least that's the goal!

Can you comfortably just roll your trigger finger down at the knuckle and prevent the contact with the frame. It would essentially be like changing your grip to make it fundamentally sound.

If I do, I end up on the bottom curve of the trigger and its not comfortable.

That's where I thought the Enos curve might help out.

I may just get a gunsmith trigger and play with a bit to see what I like.

The main reason for posting was I know what "feels" good and what is "correct" are usually not the same...

Thought I would just check in before changing things too much.

The grip and trigger finger in that picture look uncomfortable to me but it's not my hand.

I like to point my finger straight ahead with the grip on the gun put as close to a 90 in it as I can and that is where I want my trigger. I don't understand the seperation between the trigger finger and the one below it in the picture. My guess is the trigger is way too short so you are having to turn your finger up at an angle to make up the distance.