Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring broke on 3rd round

Tuflehundon

Did while I was shooting my first stage today of out of 3.

I bought my 1911 used a few months ago, I have approx 350 rounds through it. Was looking around at parts online last week to see what I want to do with her. Saw the recoil springs, and figured I should go ahead and order one just in case, who knows what the last owner did with it, or how well he took care of it. My spring arrived in the mail as I was leaving to go shoot, so I put it in my range bag and left.

Got 3 rounds into my 1st string and started getting failure to feeds. Slide would come back, push the round partially into the chamber, and then I had to push it the rest of the way by hitting the back of the slide with my hand. Did this 4 times in a row, and I stopped, called the stage over and showed clear. Went to the safe table and took it apart. The recoil spring had broken towards the front, and the Wilson Shock buff was all mangled.

Thankfully I had my new one with me, switched it out and kept shooting the rest of the night without a single other issue. I will say to the credit of the guys at the club, when I came back and mentioned the my spring had broken, 4 or 5 guys offered me one if I didn't have one. This was only my 3rd time shooting with them to. So great bunch of guys at my club.

• 1 month later...

I've never had a spring break but just 10 minutes ago, while cleaning my gun after getting home from the Idaho State Championship Monday, I removed the slide and the short recoil guide plug from my Les Baer fell out into my hand, in two pieces. :surprise: Never had that one happen before! Swapped in a full-length guide rod from the parts box and kept on cleanin' her up! :closedeyes: