Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Carry Enough Shotgun Rounds

I used the 3-gun gear T-rigs for Ironman. The 6 shot CCW caddies clip fits perfectly in the .223 pouch, giving you an additional 12 rounds on each leg without taking up much belt space. You can then also have different types of shells on each legs...

The downside, of course, is that you would have to load weak hand from the left pouches and strong hand from the right pouches, but being able to load with both hands is a good skill to have ;)

I have a Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) molle leg rig with 3 x 6 round CCW strippers on it plus another on my belt. I could probably fit another row of 3 x 6 rd CCWs on it if I thought I needed that many, or I could add a few more to my belt. The 6 rounders are really tall on the belt and dig in if there is any movement. Past that, I dunno, side saddle, and a dump pouch full of birdshot. As far as keeping track, I would start out with the specialty load shots in the gun if possible and or keep one or two of the CCW strippers loaded up with the buck and slugs with a couple extra.

Good luck, sounds like a hell of a stage,

JP5

FWIW it's worth, the CoF was laid out as follows:

Must be shot in order!

20x clay targets (bird)

10x steel poppers (mixed with no-shoots) (buck)

20x falling steel (bird)

Spinner (bird)

2x steel (slugs, 2 shots allowed per)

All targets in an array must be cleared before moving to the next array.

All targets were engaged from within about an 8-10' circle, so not much movement. Each array was engaged through a vertical slot in the 'wall' roughly 10" wide. RO coached shooters to completely dump shells of one type before moving to the next array. There was also a table to put shells on.

I ended up timing out right as I finished loading to engage the spinner. The culprits were:

1) My buckshot shooting was weak (15 shots to clear 10 targets). The fact that the nearest range for practicing doesn't allow buck certainly doesn't help here.

2) My strong hand reloads suck. I usually do weak hand loads (consequence of running a Garand most of the time; rifle ammo goes on the right side) so I don't practice strong hand much at all. Burning my left hand on the barrel trying to hold the gun while loading with the right hand didn't help, either.

3) Pump gun is slower than a semi.

But I'm going back again this month.