Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the DOT

Not knowing where to do this subject I thought the best spot would be in the ICORE subforum as here we have Open Revos. A few of the guys have ventured into the open phaze and found that they did better with Iron sights. Maybe one of the problems is the way we adress the target. On Iron sights we look through the sights at the target and fire. In optics, you have heard this many times, concentrate on the target with your nondominant eye. Well just how do you train yourself to do this? At a session this past week, I was shooting an Open rimfire rifle and found that when I picked up the revo I would have to close my nondominant eye to get a sight picture. I was looking through the scope at the target again. While pondering this dilema I remembered we used to obstruct the view on the scope and engage targets to prove it could be done. With both eyes open the dominant eye saw only the dot and the nondominant eye sees the target. So I bloced the view with some dryfire practice got back to shooting with both eyes open. With iron sight obstruct the nondominant eye, and with open obstruct the view through the scope. Put the lens cap on the front of the scope and give it a try. Let us know if it helps, I am interested if the drill could help others. later rdd :unsure:

Not knowing where to do this subject I thought the best spot would be in the ICORE subforum as here we have Open Revos. A few of the guys have ventured into the open phaze and found that they did better with Iron sights. Maybe one of the problems is the way we adress the target. On Iron sights we look through the sights at the target and fire. In optics, you have heard this many times, concentrate on the target with your nondominant eye. Well just how do you train yourself to do this? At a session this past week, I was shooting an Open rimfire rifle and found that when I picked up the revo I would have to close my nondominant eye to get a sight picture. I was looking through the scope at the target again. While pondering this dilema I remembered we used to obstruct the view on the scope and engage targets to prove it could be done. With both eyes open the dominant eye saw only the dot and the nondominant eye sees the target. So I bloced the view with some dryfire practice got back to shooting with both eyes open. With iron sight obstruct the nondominant eye, and with open obstruct the view through the scope. Put the lens cap on the front of the scope and give it a try. Let us know if it helps, I am interested if the drill could help others. later rdd :unsure:

I find that by closing both eyes, I don't feel so bad about my results.

Thanks, Bubber. I actually do the non-dominant/target..dominant/dot thingy. Just never thought about it. It is probably why I am more comfortable going left to right (left eye dominant)

Edited by underlug