Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My attempt at a primer tube filler

GregJ

After being tired of stabbing primers, and inspired by the many different primer tube fillers out there, I decided to make my own.

Parts:

Paint spray can handle from hardware store, I think about $3.95

Lee Safety Primer Tray, PN PT1005B, $2.60

Lee Primer Tray cover, $1.99

Total in parts (minus shipping) less than $10 (and not counting primer tube).

I used a tube cutter to cut the tube about 1/4" back from the plastic insert, just far enough to get past the shoulder that the insert sits in. I used a lot of hot glue to glue the motor to the tube and primer tray, and a zip tie to make sure it all stays together.

So far primers load in about 10 sec.

Here's the final result. If I make a Version 2, I'll clean the wires up, and find a better motor setup.

IMG_1956.jpg

Here's the donor. It's a spring loaded/activated hand held massager I found laying in one of the closets. I used the switch and motor from it.

IMG_1949.jpg

Here's the "handle", with the switch, and a pic with it opened up. I dont know how long the batteries will last, but they should do ok. This handle worked very well with the Lee tray. The tray has a vertical tab that fit nicely into the slot in the handle where the trigger used to be. This helped to keep the tray secured to the handle.

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

Here's the motor. I slid it into a piece of PVC pipe to protect the rotating weighted end, and to make it easier to mount. I had to cut the PVC pipe so that the motor would fit. This slot was perfect as it gave a more secure place for the motor to rest against the primer tube.

IMG_1954.jpg

I cut a piece of the same PVC pipe to use as a shim/spacer under the primer tube. The drill bit is to make sure the hole in the tube and the tray lined up.

IMG_1952.jpg

Edited by GregJ

Part Deux.

I cut another piece of the same PVC pipe to use as a shim/spacer on top of the tube, to make a snug fit to the "handle". Again, note the drill bit to make sure the primer tube and the primer tray stay lined up.

IMG_1953.jpg

This pic is not very good, but I was trying to show the small plastic piece over the top of the primer channel, to keep the primers from bouncing out. I cut it out of a plastic top of a soda cup, and superglued it on.

IMG_1957.jpg

Edited by GregJ