Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuarus PT1911, what to do

Tuflehundon

Ok, I have a Tuarus PT1911 that I plan to use for USPSA shooting. I have used it for 2 local practice events already. It has had a little work done to it already. The guy I bought it from had a trigger job done, but it looks like they kept the original trigger in there. I know the hammer has been changed. It also has a Wilson Combat 2 piece FLGR. I am going to start experimenting with different recoil spring weights.

I do want to have a little work done to it. Here's what I know I want to do:

1. Replace the stock trigger since it has some slop.

2. Get a match bushing installed.

3. Get a fibur optic front sight installed.

My questions are:

1. How good is the stock barrel on the PT1911? It is good or should it be replaced?

2. Is there anything else I should do to it?

I'll be using it for USPSA Single Stack shooting. I know I want the trigger and fibur sight after using another club members 1911 that had this done to it. The match bushing I have had on my other 1911's. The one that came with it is better than some stock bushings, but not as good as the ones I have had done in the past.

I haven't had any issues with it reliability wise. I also don't want to dump tons of money into it either.

I have a tuarus SS that i did the same with by the time i was done i had a new 1.5Lb trigger with egw sear,koenig hammer,sv short flat trigger,clark custom 4 prong sear spring, egw disconnector, ed brown ambi safety,tripp research k-1 rear sight,brazos microdot front sight,TGO techwell & grips,ed brown oversize mag release,trigger gaurd undercut, and i still have a piece of crap tuarus 1911 that shoots pretty good. If i had to do it over again i sell the taurus and start with a sti trojon and been better off. If you decide to keep it just put a dawson sight set on it,decent trigger and grips and shoot the crap out of it.

Unless you are a lefty, I'd suggest fitting a good single sided safety. The ambi is like many others, it can work lose and jam up your gun. That happened to me on mine.

Mine has proved very accurate - more than enough for pistol games. A tighter bushing might make even a bit better but I'd not suggest a new barrel. Dawson makes a nice FO front and rear, i use both.

I should say I have a PT1911 in 45ACP and besides the thumb safety and Dawson sights I mentioned I also added a Smith & Alexander MSH magwell blended in nicely and Aluma Grips just because.

I also have custom built 1911 9mm that cost 4x as much. The trigger is nicer and the fit and finish is much nicer on the custom gun but in terms of reliability and accuracy, my PT1911 offers a very good value.

Unless you are a lefty, I'd suggest fitting a good single sided safety. The ambi is like many others, it can work lose and jam up your gun. That happened to me on mine.

Mine has proved very accurate - more than enough for pistol games. A tighter bushing might make even a bit better but I'd not suggest a new barrel. Dawson makes a nice FO front and rear, i use both.

I will look into the Dawson sights. Only ones I had looked at so far and the Novaks, since that's what on there now. Hadn't thought about the ambi safety, never really use the other side anyways.

The 3 things I have listed to get done, I can get done for a little sweat and time. I was talking to a fried that is a gunsmith, and he needs a wall built in his shop. I am a former contractor, so I offered to build the wall in exchange for the work I want done. It'll take me a weekend to build, and a lot of that time is waiting for drywall mud and paint to dry. He is either going to pay me some on top, or he offered to do some more work on my 1911 for me so we can be even on costs. he is paying for the materials cost for the wall also.

My son shoots a Tuarus PT 1911. Has about 5k through it. I shoot a PT 1911 also with about 3k througt it. Both have a s&a magwell and a fiber front sight. Other than a little clean up and polishing here and there they are other wise stock. Have had no problems with either gun. This is SS shot and have fun.

My Toreass required a different hammer as the stock part is a MIM part and one of the hammer hooks fell off while we were stoning it.

I added a new hammer and a EdBrown Hardcore sear spring, it ran like a top! Great gun for the money, I learned alot about USPSA using it, liquidated that gun along with a few others to upgrade to a higher end limited gun. Its the only one I regret selling.

My Toreass required a different hammer as the stock part is a MIM part and one of the hammer hooks fell off while we were stoning it.

I added a new hammer and a EdBrown Hardcore sear spring, it ran like a top! Great gun for the money, I learned alot about USPSA using it, liquidated that gun along with a few others to upgrade to a higher end limited gun. Its the only one I regret selling.

When I got mine it had a new hammer and springs already. Not sure why they didn't change the trigger to, other than maybe they were trying to do it on a budget.