Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 22

bradthegunmaniac

For your kid? :surprise: Wait until you shoot it. I put an Eotech 512 on mine. Absolute fun to shoot.

I would like to get a M&P 22 for my kid. I would also like to put a red dot on it. Something like a Jpoint. Does anyone have any experience with a set up like this?

This is for a pistol not AR.

If we are talking about the M&P22 Pistol (not the AR rifle or AR-looking Pistol)

It looks just like a M&P 9/40 pistol, that also means there is no rail on-top for easily mounting an optic. The entire slide reciprocates, so there is no stationary rail like on a Buckmark or S&W 22a.

for the Jpoint, you are talking about cutting the rear-sight dovetail to mount the optic to the rear of the slide?

I've never seen it done but I do have a M&P22 pistol so some things that might be a problem for this setup:

1) reciprocating weight: adding the optic increases the weight of the slide. The entire slide reciprocates (just like a M&P 9/40) but it has to be very lightweight being only a .22. This may affect functioning, you might have to experiemnt with the recoil spring, use high velocity ammo only, etc.

2) the Slide is some sort of Aluminum alloy, be careful milling the dovetail on the slide, the material is not as strong as steel. Even if you mill it to fit the Jpoint, will the dovetail in the slide be strong-enough to hold it over time?

Interesting, potentially possible but I've never seen it done. let me know how it goes.

Edited by SlowShooter