Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 swage questions .223 / 5.56

hey all,

i am nearingthe day when i will switch the press from 45 acp to 223 / 556.

i understand that when loading brass from different manufacturers i need to adjust the swage rod. how true is this? what about different years, like LC 08 or LC 09? does it really matter? how will i tell if i need to adjust if i do all the LC together etc etc.

what about loading my twice fired cases.....the ones i chamfered the pockets on already (the reason i bought a 1050 btw!)? should i remove the swage rod or should i leave it in a "do all" position?....if that is possible?

thanks for the feed back.

eddie

• 2 weeks later...

well,

i finally got it up and running for 223. what a PITA! i had several issues i am working through.

one question about adjusting the swage rod. i have seen the video from dillon. i adjusted it as they suggest. but what i am experiencing is that when there is nothing to swage the press just kinda stops on the down stroke, but when ther is apiece being swaged it seems to feel a bit "sprung" meaning that it feels like it is bottoming out on something (and it is.....the swage assembly). is this normal? i tried to lighten up the amount of swage but the i was crushing primers and getting powder all over the place from the open flash hole. (GGGRRR!)

another issue i have is if i really try and go fast it jams the machine. on the up stroke it kinda pushes the shell plate out of alignment and the rod whacks the shell plate as it misses the hole.

also i am having trouble getting the brass to feed into station 1 reliably....this happens no matter what speed i run. i thought it may be an alignment issue but am not sure.

thanks for any help you can give.