Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Choate Multigun Melee

Melee: generally refers to disorganized close combat involving a group of fighters. A melee ensues when groups become locked together in combat with no regard to group tactics or fighting as an organized unit; each participant fights as an individual. :sight:

Mountain Valley Sportsman's Association of Hot Springs, AR is pleased to announce the first annual Choate Multigun Melee. MVSA is set in the hills north east of beautiful Hot Springs, AR, a nationally known vacation destination. There are lots of activities nearby so bring the wife and kids - they can spend your money while you shoot! Or better yet, sign them up too!!!

Fred Choate :bow: of Choate Machine and Tool has generously signed on to be our major sponsor, contributing an AR15 rifle (rumored to have the latest in Choate Zombie furniture), cash, and many other Choate brand products. More sponsor and prize info to be added later.

This will be a USPSA Level I match. Emphasis will be on fun, since that's why most of us do this. :)

We are running this match in a one day format - Saturday, November 10th.

Awards will be cash and sponsor prizes. There will be no plaques, if you want wood - go to Lowes.

Entry documents can be found at the bottom of the Choate News page - http://www.riflestock.com/choate_news.html

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got to see a sample of the Zombie furniture for the prize table rifle. It is a gray/green color with black zombie print. I'm not really into the whole Zombie deal, but this was really cool!!!

We will try to post some picks as soon as they are available.

Are all stages vehicle accessible or will we need carts ?

Thanks, Hadley O.

There is very little parking at the bays on the pistol range where six of the eight stages will be shot so a cart will be in order. The 30 rd shotgun birdshot stage will be over the hill at our small bore range and the long range rifle stage will be in the woods next to the small bore range. You will want to drive over, but again, the cart will be a good idea.

MVSA hosts two IDPA regional matches each year with attendance of 175+/- shooters, so there is plenty of parking.

Please see the attached Stage Map. It may change a little, but not much.

2012 CMM Stage Map.pdf

Update on the 2012 CMM:

Right now we have about 35 registered for the match, which puts us about half full. With only two in Open, looks likely we will wind up running everyone in Tactical. If you want to shoot open, round up some friends and get registered. I don't have permission to give names, but we have some guys that are near the top of the 3G game signed up already. This will be a fun, competitive match, so don't wait and miss out.

We spent some time this morning in the woods where we are planning our rifle stage. If the dozer can get the road to the back completed, we will have targets at 400+/- yds. If not, it will be more like 250+/-. The tract of land is a 40 acre square of hills and valleys with recently thinned woods. Expect targets from 2 yards out to the above distances with a minimum round count of 28+/-.

Once we get our stages finalized, which is mostly done, we are going to send them to the AR Section Coordinator Tom Lloyd and Area 4 Director Troy McManus for review. Then we will post them here. Even though we are running this match as a Level I this year, we plan to be Level II next year and want to follow the same course in our prep work. Plus, Troy volunteered to review them since he is shooting the match. :)

I will have some big news on the prize table next week, so stay tuned!

Update on the 2012 CMM.

The stages are off for review by Troy McManus. He is shooting the match and volunteered to help out. We figured it would be stupid not to take advantage of the offer. We will post them here once we get word back from Troy and make any needed changes.

The really big news concerns the prize table: Mossberg has very generously supplied a JM Pro 930 for us! :D We are trying a little different approach on the prizes for this match. Place finishers will receive cash prizes, the sponsor prizes will be by random draw. This means everyone has a chance at the guns. Since Choate has given us an AR15 rifle and we have a Mossberg shotgun, all we need is a pistol to have all three guns on our little prize table (yes, that is a hint - more to follow when we get the details). So right now we have cash for the top finishers, an AR, and a Mossy 930, plus other Choate items.

Well, back to working on targets!

More to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 CMM Update -

We finally have a photo of the AR15 Fred Choate has donated to the prize table. Please note the scope and sights are NOT part of the prize and will NOT be included.

We hope to soon announce the pistol that has been promised, but we don't want to say until it is definite.

The stages are pretty much done and have been reviewed by Area 8 Director Troy McManus and a few others. We just have to revise a few things and we will get them posted and email them to the shooters.

Registration has picked up the last week or so but we still have spots open. Our Match Director, Ted Smethers, is off to the Ozark 3G to RO next week so if you see him, ask him about our match.

Mark

post-20599-0-75201300-1346546769_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

It's official - we have a CZ pistol on the prize table! Much thanks to Matt Mink of Automatic Accuracy for securing the pistol from his sponsor CZ USA . Matt has also donated AR lowers for the prize table.

Other new sponsors include Bayou Bullets and Midway USA.

Match plans are progressing. Unfortunately, we have been distracted by our USPSA pistol matches, Adams Arms 3G and now the Arkansas MG Sectional. We should be finalizing things in the next week or so on the stages and will post them here.

Once again, thanks to our match sponsor Choate Machine and Tool. Match application can be found on their web page in the News section.

If you are shooting the AR3G Sectional this weekend, look up Ted, David, and me. We will be ROing and hope to see a bunch of you guys there.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like I read somewhere in one of the emails something about starting at dawn? Is that still the plan?

We have been looking at sunrise and sunset times, along with our stages and have decided we need to have the shooter's meeting at 7:00 and start shooting at 7:30. We think that will give us enough time to get all the stages shot before dark. We are hoping to move the match a little earlier next year and schedule it before the time change, but this year we are stuck with our date.

Ted will be sending an email to everyone that has registered. If you have friends that are shooting the match, be sure to let them know.

All of the Open shooters have elected to switch to Tactical or Limited. There are no Heavy Metal shooters. So the Choate Multi-Gun Melee will likely be a Tactical/Limited match! We are still planning to distribute $2000 cash to the top winners. Probably top 5 in Tactical and top 2 in Limited. This will make the payouts descent for those who win. All competitors will be in the random drawing for prizes. We have a Zombie AR 15, a Mossberg 930 JM Pro (hardest gun to buy in America I think), a certificate for a CZ Pistol and other stuff from Sierra, Bayou Bullets and others. Still got room for 15 more shooters.

The stages are final and I think Mark will post them soon. We decided to drop one stage because the swinging stand you were going to have to ride in was too dang heavy to haul to the range. But 7 stages will make for a full day of shooting. We will have our shooters meeting at 7 AM and try to get started by 7:30. We will break for lunch and I plan on cooking up a big pot of beef stew. Will keep it going all afternoon.

We will be doing USPSA Time Plus Scoring using Practi-Score and paper for backup. Load it up on your iPhone or Android and we'll try to let competitors synch up and stay current with scoring.

Our Rifle stage will be in the woods, 30 shots if you don't shoot any extra. Longest shots will be about 300 YDs and you will need to engage two full size steel targets twice each from 3 different positions plus a few others between here and there. Should be fun. There will be one all-shotgun stage of 31 birdshot with a rabbit, two fliers, a couple flippers and various steel and a star. The round count is well balanced among the three guns. Mark has done a great job on the stages.

Go to Choate webeite and see Newsroom to download the application forms.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Ted Smethers

tsmethe@entergy.com

501-620-0601

Here are the stages. We are trying to cram as much as we can into one day, and a short one at that. I wish the round count was higher, but we are short on daylight. We hope to get the match scheduled before time change next year.

Included is a spreadsheet with round count by stage. Total is 179 rds minimum required. This is based on one shot to neutralize each target. I will need at least double that. Maybe triple.

Distances will be max around 300 yds for rifle. Those will be two full size metric plates with electronic flashers. At 100 - 220ish there will be 12" SwingFlash targets. Close paper will be metrics and some A3/B 11"x17" paper. Stage 6 has some 6" SwingFlash targets but they are only about 65-70yds.

Slugs are all inside 50 yds. No need for the sniper SG. Birdshot needs to be 7 1/2 or smaller. Everything will be set light enough to fall pretty easy.

There are no long pistol shots.

As I said, we needed to keep the pace pretty fast to be able to finish before dark.

Take this match as what it is - the last match of the year. It is intended to be fun. We hope you enjoy it.

If you have not signed up yet, get your buddies and come play guns at the last match of 2012. We still have lots of slots left and can do a complete squad if needed.

I'm also attaching the range map and the application. Go to Choate Machine and Tool for the waiver.

See ya at the range.

Mark

CMM 2012 Stages - 10-15-12.pdf

2012 CMM Stage Map.pdf

2012 MVSA Choate Melee Entry Form.pdf

Here are the stages. We are trying to cram as much as we can into one day, and a short one at that. I wish the round count was higher, but we are short on daylight. We hope to get the match scheduled before time change next year.

Included is a spreadsheet with round count by stage. Total is 179 rds minimum required. This is based on one shot to neutralize each target. I will need at least double that. Maybe triple.

Distances will be max around 300 yds for rifle. Those will be two full size metric plates with electronic flashers. At 100 - 220ish there will be 12" SwingFlash targets. Close paper will be metrics and some A3/B 11"x17" paper. Stage 6 has some 6" SwingFlash targets but they are only about 65-70yds.

Slugs are all inside 50 yds. No need for the sniper SG. Birdshot needs to be 7 1/2 or smaller. Everything will be set light enough to fall pretty easy.

There are no long pistol shots.

As I said, we needed to keep the pace pretty fast to be able to finish before dark.

Take this match as what it is - the last match of the year. It is intended to be fun. We hope you enjoy it.

If you have not signed up yet, get your buddies and come play guns at the last match of 2012. We still have lots of slots left and can do a complete squad if needed.

I'm also attaching the range map and the application. Go to Choate Machine and Tool for the waiver.

See ya at the range.

Mark

Looks great Mark! Is they a physical address to the range or GPS coordinates? The MVSA just has driving directions which is pretty much useless in today's electronic world.

Range location -

The address does not come up in the right location in Google so it will get you lost. Don't blame me if you meet a nice new friend with a banjo and less than a full set of teeth - 320 Ten Mile Rd, Hot Springs, AR.

GPS for the Action Range Gate - 34 33'41.13"N 92 54'31.58W

Google link - Attachment opens at the range. Well...I guess I can't do that, so email me and I'll reply with the Google Link.

The range is easy to find, the directions are similar for most ranges - go till just before the edge of the earth, hang a right, range is on the left a few more hours down the road.