Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B Primer Problems

Out of 100 45ACP, I had two "crooked" primers and one flipped primer.

I think the crooked ones are about shell plate alignment. I'm guessing that the ball isn't centered in its detent, but off-center in the direction of rotation. I'm pretty sure the tension on the shell plate is about as good as it gets. As far the two shells, I can pop the primers out and re-use them.

The flipped one has me stumped. I am absolutely sure that they were all faced the same way (shiny up) when I picked them up with the pickup tube. Somehow, one decided to flip. I can live with that, I suppose. I didn't discover this one until I was inspecting the completed cartridges. I've pulled the bullet & recycled the powder. Any safe way to get that backwards primer out?

Thanks.

Tom

the easier way would be to just throw it away....what's one case in the trash vs safety.

:sight:

Or if you just have to use the case...drop some oil on the primer (avil side)...wait a few minutes...put on some safety glasses and punch it out using the deprimer die...

Most cases for a crooked primer are not shell plate alignment, but case alignment. Case does not center itself and the ram hits it on the edge. This can flip it up onto its edge. The flipped primer is likely one that went in backwards to start with. This can happen as you load the pickup tube, placing the tube on its side for storage, or as the primers are inserted into the machine.