Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you See?

Jack Suber

I've never learned the art of shooting with both eyes open. I acquire the target with both eyae open and close my weak eye as I bring my focus back to the front sight. Depending on the transition distance I may or may not open the weak eye for the next shot.

My vision is 20/20 but have started wearing 1.25 power reading glasses. Recently I started practicing live fire with these reading glasses and the clarity of the sights are unreal! Downside is the targets are slightly out of focus (soft focus) which makes it easier to stay on the front sight (benefit). Also not being able to see bullet holes (disadvantage) at longer distances forces me to read the sights (benefit).

Just wondering does anyone else fall into this situation, good long distance poor short distance vision where slightly magnified glasses provide sharper focus?

rwmagnus,

You see about the same as I do.

I tried 1.50 last week, just a little too much correction...

I could actually see the slide lock back for the first time in my life ( freaky ! )

At least nobody has said " I see dead people ".

The whole vision thing has become a priority for me lately. ( turned 40 )

I also have been experimenting with tape ( 3/4 X 3/4 ) .

I have only slightly more dominance in the right eye and cannot shoot with both eyes open, two targets , two guns.

Closing one eye becomes a problem for me if done for an extended period, the effort required to keep it closed and the other eye open causes a twitching of the lower eye lid as the muscles become tired.

Still experimenting with stuff to see what works...

Travis F.

TBF,

My perscription is a dead heat for +1.25 generic $10 reading glasses. Hate to admit it but now at 48 (wish I was turning 40!) reading glasses are all but manditory. I haven't been able to find +1.00 power glasses but anything sronger than +1.25 is going the wrong direction for me. At this power my field of focus covers the rear sight to alittle past the front sight. Stronger lenses magnify the rear but blur the front sight. The down side is (and I need to expierment more with this) longer distance shooting. At 20 yards the edges of the target are blurred. I can make out no shoots, hard cover etc but can not see the surface of the target with any detail. To some extent this helps me reacquire the front sight because it's so sharply in focus. Guess I didn't really know what I was missing (no punn intended) by not wearing glasses.

I've been able to close my weak eye and keep it very relaxed. If I close it too hard I get tension in my face and my eye wants to twich. The key for me is keeping it relaxed. I don't even think about it as it's just pasrt of the trigger process. As I squeeze the trigger my weak eye closes unless it's a really close shot under 5 yards then both eyes are looking thru the sights rather than at them.