Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 major with 200gr lead & Titegroup

Scott L

I've been searching my reloading manuals, forums and every website I can think of trying to find data for a 200gr lead bullet and Titegroup that will make major. I've searched and read a lot here at BE, but I definitely haven't read every thread on the subject. I've seen references to this combination, but no specifics. Can anybody point me to a thread with relevant info? Or, does anybody have suggestions for this combination?

A little background might be in order. I know Titegroup and lead can be smokey, I use it in 10mm and .45 with lead, so I've seen first hand what it will do. I've got 4 pounds of powder and 4,000 bullets (the bullets were a close out deal that I couldn't pass up) that I'd really like to use up. I'm planning on running this in a Glock 20 with an aftermarket barrel that's been throated to allow the OAL to be 1.200". I can be flexible on primers and brass is mixed range brass, but I really want to find a safe load with Titegroup and 200gr lead bullets.

In the end, if it's not safe to use 200gr bullets and lead then I won't do it, I'll find a different powder. That said, I know it's been discussed here, I just can't find any detailed info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

Edited by Scott L

In the end, if it's not safe to use 200gr bullets and lead then I won't do it, I'll find a different powder. That said, I know it's been discussed here, I just can't find any detailed info.

I have never tried it with lead projectiles but I can tell you that I tried to make Major with TG and 200gr FMJ's and I was unable to do so. Even before I reached the maximum recommended load data (3.8gr according to the Hodgdon site), I was noticing significant primer flattening.

Cy

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to find somebody that tried already. With lead I figured I would probably have to start around 3.0 grains and work up, but it might not be worth the headache.

Scott