Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Dawson Adjustable Rear & FO Front Sight on a G34

Dr.J

I recently purchased a G34 to begin competing in IDPA matches and want to install a Dawson adjustable rear and fiber-optic front sights on it. I am looking for comments from those of you who have installed sights on your Glocks. I've looked at the video of Dave Dawson installing the sights and it looks fairly straight forward. I have a vise with padded jaws, an air compressor, and degreasing solvent. Other than that what type/brand of file and punch do you recommend and where can they be purchased? Is a magnifier, similar to the type Dawson wears in the video nice to have or necessary? Is a sight pusher a need to or nice to have? I want to make sure that I know what I'm getting into and that I'm prepared to tackle the work. The $70 front and rear sight installation fee plus ~$30 shipping seems a little much, as did the 4 week turnaround time. Your comments and help are appreciated.

Dr.J

I have a pusher and rarely use it. I made my first Al punches and they are real handy for sights. Rectangle stock at home depot. I usually just try to push in the sight by hand and see how far it goes. I want to push it by hand about 1/3 to half way and drive it the rest. I have ground safe files to modify the sight. The video is real good to walk you through what you are getting into.

I installed the exact same set up on my 34. Used a safe sides Swiss pattern file because that's what I had. Any safe side smooth file will work.

I have a sight pusher but rarely use it. In fact it's loaned out right now. I just use a brass punch and a 1 pound hammer. Any brass marks are easy to clean up wi CLP and a toothbrush

Push the sight in, remove, file. Repeat till it goes 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Drive with punch to seat. Test fire and make adjustments.

A blue sharpie will help you identify the high points that need to be removed as you are test fitting. Cover the filed area with ink. High points will rub off.

Magnifiers are helpful but not required. I have a set I use for checkering stocks and general inspections. I have gotten my money's worth from them.

Haven't seen the Dawson video so not sure what they do. If you can change your own spark plugs you can do this without catastrophe. Set aside time without distractions and go slow.

- john

BTW the sight will drive a lot easier in a solid vise with padded jaws rather than someone holding it on the tailgate of a truck. FACT! Minor taps are easily transmitted on fixed sights to drift and sight in. Everything is better with proper tools. My problem with the pusher for use with sighting in fixed sights is square sided sights and it is for angle sided sights like the factory plastic. It will work, just not great. Puts a lot of stress on the top of the sight and dovetail.