Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHOT SHELL DATA NEEDED !

perrysho

A friend, wants to load shotgun ammo for 3-Gun. I have tried to help but can't find much data.

He has been loading with WST, (think about 22 Grs, every thingis hot).

Thanks for any links.

Perry

^^^^^^

This and/or the powder manufacturer's data (or possibly the wad - PC wads put their load data right on the bags).

Been using 7/8oz loads in 12 ga. using the Claybuster CB0178-12 (similar to the Winchester WAA12L) to save a little lead and they have been working out great. I'm loading towards the high end for that shot charge at about 1325 fps which works a rem 1100 good. Going above the manufacture's data with shotshells is not a good idea, so use a solid reference and if you are using a machine with a powder bushing don't just go by the bushing powder load reference chart, weigh some powder throws. Also, if you are using tecloaders be sure to make sure the front edgy of the shell has a little taper on it, otherwise you might get tecloader lockup during a reload.

The Lyman manual is a great resource! You can also check the Hodgdon web site. They've got tons of data in their online database tool. Handy look up features as well.

If he's loading 1-1/8 oz of shot, that 22gr of WST is hot indeed. Depending on the wad, hull, primer combination, he may be well above book recommendations according to the Hodgdon site. Keep in mind that shotshell recipes should be followed exactly with no substitution of components. There can be very different pressure results just by changing any one of the components.

THANKS for your replys,

Talked to shooting bud Sammy this AM, here's what he loaded.

Win 209 AA hull

Western WA 12 SL 12 ga Wad

1 oz lead shot

21 Gr WST

When tried in his pump shotgun something locked it up, he took it to a gunsmith this AM.

I have only found two references to WST being used for shot shells both Federals.

I load 45ACP's with WST, but have never used it for shot shells.

Thank you,

Perry