Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed vs accuracy

dezz

For the speed triggers: The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

I thought you would like that.

Dry fire. But do it right put pasters on the wall, move thru all of them break your shot on the last one then trasition back to the first and hold on it for 2 seconds. You won't under stand the wisdom of this advice but if you do it you will improve and lose some noob bad habits.

Team up with another and video each other and the best shooter in the squad, then actually watch them. Even better play it but don't look just listen, you will hear the difference and it won't be that the good shooter has faster splits it will be that he is shooting more of the time on the stage, he won't have those long silences!

Just some thoughts for your inquiring minds. Points per second.

And practise, practise, practise.

I can call my shots and back up a poor shot quickly if I have been practising. But last week I hadn't shot in over a month, I was running past a target, called A-M but by the time my brain worked out that I missed I was too far past the target to back it up. Had I had some practise my reactions would have been better and I would have no doubt backed up that miss.

Just my 2 cents....

Good day all, I am a newbie shooter of 2 years and having a tough time with deciding how to practice and shoot a match. I am a IDPA sharpshooter and USPSA B limited shooter. He is my problem, I can shoot accurate but kinda slow (splits .30-.35) and with this approach I can be very consistent compared to others I shoot against. Might not win my class but usually get close.

The other me can shoot fast for my skill level, have good splits and usually keep them in the center of mass. Problem is I am not consistent with this approach and usually either a hero or a zero. With this approach if I am on I can usually beat most experts.If I am not it is ugly.

Common sense would tell me to shoot slow and consistent but its like I have a little devil on my shoulder yelling at me to shoot fast. It is way more fun for me to shoot fast as slow and consistent is a little boring.

I really am in love with practical shooting and stay up at night trying to figure out how to get to the next level. Probably need some mental counseling.

Would appreciate any advice.

thank you

I do the same thing late and night. Seems we all need mental counseling when it come to figuring out this sport.