Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Decapper and 550b not getting along

I am trying to reload some .223 that I have resized on my 550b with a Dillon sizing die and trimmed with an rt1200. Brass is all LC Nato, 1.750.

In station one I have a Lee Universal Decapper (solely to make sure my flash holes are free of media). Every time I raise the shell plate, the rim of the brass hits the decapping pin just enough to stop the machine, and I have to release the bullet from station 3 and jiggle the brass in station one for it to line up and go in.

I've tried raising and lowering the die, I've tried adjusting the paper clip, adjusting the shell plate bolt. Not sure what else to try.

Removing the die and slowly rolling it, looks like the pin is perfectly straight.

Any idea? Should I just forgo the lee die and get a Dillon Universal decapper?

223 cases are relatively long compared to the diameter of their bases, this will give you a higher centerof gravity and cause the cases to wobble a bit. You just have to make sure your cases are perfectly straight when you put them in station one and properly seated in the shell plate to keep them vertical and in line with the decapper.

I had the same set up and needed to adjust a case every 5-10 cases because they would wobble a bit. I found it was easier to put a full length sizer in station 1 and have the trimmer in station 3. The sizer doe will help keep the cases in line.

So I have tried some different brass and the problem is much less frequent, say one in every 10 or so cases.

Is there a decapper that "funnels" the brass into it a little easier, or has a radius on the decapper to prevent it from just hitting suddenly?