Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thyroid Surgery. Were you happy with it?

atomicbrh

Who out there has had thyroid surgery?

Were you happy with the results?

I have one complex nodule, one cyst and multiple small nodules. I am not hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. Read many forums about thyroid surgery, treatments and complications.

The thyroid is one of those glands that if it becomes a problem, there are too many medical disciplines involved. Each Doctor handing you off to another one. This is the sequence I see:

(1) Family Physician finds nodule.(Once he shuffles you off to the surgeon his job is done.)

(2) ENT Surgeon.(Once he takes parts out of you he is done.)

(3) Endocrinologist.(Sometimes 8 weeks or more before you can get in to see one. If what he tries does not work he just says well that is what the surgeon had to take out.)

The scenario:

Family Doctor felt a nodule in my left neck. He got all emotional and I did not. I did not know a nodule was there. No problems eating or breathing. Labwork is normal so far but beginning to show some kind of immuno-defiency disease.

The Radiologist reported that my trachea is being offset to the right compared to a 2010 chest X-ray or I was not positioned symetrically for the PA Chest view but he had the benefit of seeing my neck Ultrasound at the same time. My costrophrenic angles were straight on that chest X-ray but my shoulders may not have been due to slight scoliosis. I agreed to at least visit the ENT Surgeon just to make the family Doc happy.

If this was my prostate or my gallbladder there would be not problem. It would be gone as soon as I could get a surgery date but the thyroid and pancreas are different. You got to have those 2 organs.

You have to have the chemicals the thyroid produces to function correctly. Synthroid is often a poor substitute. Due to my work and the potential to be deployed I do not want to be dependent on some pharmaceutical supply that I might lose or run out of.

I ask this in Brian's forum because only shooters understand shooters; how we live, how we think, how we function.

• 6 years later...