Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a Recipe for .55gr FMJBT and Winchester 748

lpspinner

Looking to see if anyone has a pet load for this combination?

I'm thinking of 26.2gr of 748 with an OAL of 2.240"

This is going to be mostly used with my 16" AR.

that might be a tad on the hot side. i've loaded 748 for 55 gr fmj's at 24.8 grins that got me 2,905 out of an 18" JP barrel. YMMV.

OK, the lastest Nosler bok has this at .2 over max. hmmm,

Since the 16' is a tad bit shorter then your 18", I'll try 25gr, with an OAL of 2.255 a try. Pretty much crimped at the top half of the cannelure.

Now to find time to go to the range to test this.

Edited by lpspinner

Looking to see if anyone has a pet load for this combination?

I'm thinking of 26.2gr of 748 with an OAL of 2.240"

This is going to be mostly used with my 16" AR.

It's been a while since I've loaded FMJ but this was my recipe:

Hornady 55 g FMJ

OAL 2.23

25.8 g W748

18 in JP

Avg Chrony - 2823 at 55 degrees in January.

I no longer use W748 because of it's bad rep for temperature sensitivity and it seemed "dirty". I've been happier with Ramshot X-Terminator. YMMV

Steve

Thanks Steve...Yea, I'm aware of the temperature sensitivity, but this will be used in the mild San Francisco Bay Area climate, so that shouldn't be an issue.

hmmm, 2.23.....I think that will take me over past the cannelure?

Thanks Steve...Yea, I'm aware of the temperature sensitivity, but this will be used in the mild San Francisco Bay Area climate, so that shouldn't be an issue.

hmmm, 2.23.....I think that will take me over past the cannelure?

It's possible I made a mistake when I wrote that down, my notes are from about 6 months ago. I do remember trying to get them as long as I could while keeping the crimp in the cannelure. FWIW, I just measured some American Eagle 55 FMJ factory rounds and they are at ~ 2.20. I've grown fond of the VMax bullets, so I don't load the FMJ's any more.

Let us know your results, or even better yet since you only live a few hours away from Reno come up and join us at our monthly 3-Gun matches! Next match is July 7th - Calendar at www.wnpl.org

Steve

Oh great, another reason to go to Reno. :) Wife's gonna love that.

Not ready for 3 gun matches yet, but may participate in a USPA match if I'm there.

Since I'm loading LC brass, I'll back off your load down to 25.6 and give those I try. I loaded up a few test round and I'll see how it goes. Crimp is right at the top edge of the cannelure.

Thanks

Edited by lpspinner

• 4 weeks later...

I have 6lbs of 748 so I am going to use it for some Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets. My my barrel length is 11.5 inches. How well do you think 25.6 grains of 748 powder will work in my barrel?

My rifle is a New Colt 6933 Carbine. I will also be mounting the 6933 upper onto my Colt M16.

Dane

Edited by md66948