Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Nationals Video

FWIW, the taping of events has become a SCREAMING LEGAL MINEFIELD! And god knows, if anyone is in a position to comment on what USPSA can and cannot do in regard to video coverage, it's me! [LOL!!!]

As has been noted, USPSA events are specifically *not* "public events" as public events are defined...on public property, open to anyone, etc. Pretty much the opposite.

When you enter the Nationals and sign that entry form, you give the intellectual property-holder—USPSA—the sole and exclusive right to control whatever intellectual property is generated by that event. They have the right to ban cameras/camcorders from the event, whether they're for personal use or not (the same way concert venues prohibit the use of tape recorders or movies prohibit the use of camcorders while the movie's running). If they allow you to use personal recording equipment, that does not give you the legal right to produce, say, a USPSA Nationals Scrapbook and offer that scrapbook to the public (or a segment of the public, such as this list) for sale, even as intellectual "shareware"—if you like it, send me money.

For example, I have been "invited" to film at various USPSA national events since the ill-considered Scoutten contract expired (it is my understanding that it wasn't renewed; if it was, you guys are in much deeper poo-poo than even I imagined! And I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you!). However, the invitations were from people pretty low down in the hierarchy, and we are of the legal opinion the people involved didn't have the authority to issue such an invitation. In fact, once such invitation came with the cavaet that, "I don't think they'll throw you out, but I'm not sure." Given that television even at low levels is mucho expensive, I'd have been a fool—an unemployed fool, at that—to commit a production team to "I don't think they'll throw you out."

I like to stay on a 60-90 day lead time. We filmed the National Tactical Invitationals first week of June, and it'll air in a couple of weeks. Sometimes, because of our air "seasons," it runs a little longer. This year's Steel Challenge, for example, will air in January 2005. Our "record" was this year's cowboy Winter Range, which we filmed, edited and had on the air in three weeks as a test to see just how fast we could turn an episode without killing ourselves (or using an editing truck on location).

mb

For example, I have been "invited" to film at various USPSA national events since the ill-considered Scoutten contract expired (it is my understanding that it wasn't renewed; if it was, you guys are in much deeper poo-poo than even I imagined! And I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell you!).

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol:

Troy

I want to run for USPSA President, if only so I can beat the holy hell out of anyone who claims that there's any type of political/legal "problem" with filming the greatest people on earth and selling/broadcasting the result.

Repeat after me:

"There is no problem with great publicity."

There. Now lets all take our lithium and have a brewski. Feel better now?

[/unauthorized Political Outburst]

Now get out there and make some unauthorized video people! I'm thinking of a title....

2004 USPSA Nationals: Stats Babes Gone Wild!!!

I think it'll be quite a hit.

Eric, I'll sign your presidential nomination form! Seriously...go for it! Ya got three years to convince the rest of the country.

I dunno...the folks that do the stats at the two clubs I shoot at most frequently are dudes. Not sure I want to see Bill, Tom, Guy and Don "Gone Wild". Ick.

Of course Bill was talking about getting the lasses from Stateline Showgirls to help out at matches...... :D