Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refurbishing a tanfoglio 9mm target pistol on the cheap

PrinC

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on restoring the frame and slide on a used tanfoglio pistol. I am getting a deal on one and need some homemade ideas to get the frame shining again.I intend changing the handgrips and magazines with new ones. Any recommendations short of sending the pistol back to the factory would be appreciated.

Edited by PrinC

PrinC,

What kind of finish is on it. Chrome, Blue, Wonder Finish? Tanfoglio has used a lot of finishes over the years. Blue would be the easiest to clean up, some steel wool and a bottle of cold blue can do miracles in the right hands. Chrome would require some one doing a complete bead blast and refinish. Wonder Finish I have no idea, understand it is a heat treatment of some kind. Would probably be best to strip it, polish and blue it.

There are large number of finishes out there, some quite inexpensive. So if the results you get from your own efforts are not really what you want it does not cost that much (250 or so) to have a professional make it look brand new. Especially true if you will strip the gun down to the bare slide and frame. Henning has an excellent video on this.

Best of Luck.

10mmjunkie

PrinC,

What kind of finish is on it. Chrome, Blue, Wonder Finish? Tanfoglio has used a lot of finishes over the years. Blue would be the easiest to clean up, some steel wool and a bottle of cold blue can do miracles in the right hands. Chrome would require some one doing a complete bead blast and refinish. Wonder Finish I have no idea, understand it is a heat treatment of some kind. Would probably be best to strip it, polish and blue it.

There are large number of finishes out there, some quite inexpensive. So if the results you get from your own efforts are not really what you want it does not cost that much (250 or so) to have a professional make it look brand new. Especially true if you will strip the gun down to the bare slide and frame. Henning has an excellent video on this.

Best of Luck.

10mmjunkie

It looks like its the wonder finish. The chroming being done here is not to my liking so I am just wondering if steel wool can be used to regain the shine on the frame of the pistol.

The wonder finish guns are dull to begin with so I don't know how much shine you can give one. from what I understand the Wonder finish is like the Tennifer on Glocks so if you do polish it up to smooth you may need to have it blued or cerecoted, or if your into DIY you can get a kit from Brownells to Cerecoat it yourself. Also what is wrong with the mags ? if they work just clean them up and use them and maybe get some new one too as you can never have to many mags.

Mike

The wonder finish guns are dull to begin with so I don't know how much shine you can give one. from what I understand the Wonder finish is like the Tennifer on Glocks so if you do polish it up to smooth you may need to have it blued or cerecoted, or if your into DIY you can get a kit from Brownells to Cerecoat it yourself. Also what is wrong with the mags ? if they work just clean them up and use them and maybe get some new one too as you can never have to many mags.

Mike

Thanks for your advice, Mike. I do not want to try something and it gets worse. With your advice i can take a try at something that will make it better off. On the magazine issue, one magazine seems to have a weak spring and is causing the rounds to sit in an incorrect position in the magazine. I think its time to get a fresh set and in the meantime, work on refurbishing the old one. A gunsmith actually modified a beretta magazine for this pistol.