Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Bulge Near Base

LKaler

Hi,

I noticed I have a bulge in my twice fired brass about 1/4" from the base. From the neck to the bulge it has a worn appearance, and from the bulge to the bottom of the cartridge it is still polished and shiny. Its being fired out of a Rem 700. The bulge is very minor, but I am always worrying about something so if anyone can give me some input that would be awesome.

Curiosity got to me, and I wanted to check the wall thickness at the bulge, so I cut it in half. Please excuse the hack job. The walls are consistent, so I think i should be fine, let me know if anyone thinks otherwise. Also, what are common causes are of these bulges in bolt action rifles? Thanks again.

post-41287-0-24459600-1340309861_thumb.j

Is the rifle properly headspaced? I've seen pressure rings on cases that are from too much headspace. New brass, fire-formed, neck sized or full-length resized? Standard size dies or are they small base? They all have an impact on brass life. If it's a bolt gun, I'd stick to neck resizing the fire-formed brass, unless you're hunting.

• 9 months later...

I have seen this many times, it looks like a headspace problem. Headspace can be over come by firing forming, it's tricky I suggest you

Invest in a go, no go gauge first too confirm the

Problem, see if someone a set you can borrow,

Check with local gunsmith. If it is research firing forming first, and then neck size only. Just a suggestion

Or it simply could be an area that your particular reloading dies doesn't size down. Some dies have a really heavy chamfer at the entrance that won't let you size the case down to the extractor groove. You'll also see this on brass that is only getting partially sized for whatever reason.