Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belling cases & throughput

I've had my 550B for a few months now and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. My throughput rate has been pretty low. 100 rds 9mm in 45 minutes. That hasn't really bothered me because I'm still being very careful to "check everything" with each pull of the handle.

When I set up my press, I set the power funnel to bell the cases per the manual. It worked fine with the first batch of bullets that I had. I switched to Berry's plated 147gn and had to "steady" the bullet into the seating die. Yesterday, I had a "well, you dummy!" moment. It dawned on me that I should adjust the powder funnel down just a touch to increase the bell for the bullets. I know, I should have thought of that before. So I've moved from less than 150/hour to right at 300/hour with that change. Yes I'm still checking each station before pulling the handle. And, no more worries about pinched fingers as the ram rises!

If you're loading quality ammunition, speed is of no consequence. Speed, if it matters to you, will come with time.

One speed tip I used when I had a 550 is when you look in station 2 to verify the powder drop, place the bullet on that case, then index with your left hand while your right hand grabs another case and places it in station one. Right hand works the handle while the left hand grabs a bullet. When you seat the primer, look in station 2 to verify the drop, place the bullet, index while grabbing another case, etc. When you get into a rhythm, 500 per hour is very doable.

I've had my 550B for a few months now and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. My throughput rate has been pretty low. 100 rds 9mm in 45 minutes. That hasn't really bothered me because I'm still being very careful to "check everything" with each pull of the handle.

When I set up my press, I set the power funnel to bell the cases per the manual. It worked fine with the first batch of bullets that I had. I switched to Berry's plated 147gn and had to "steady" the bullet into the seating die. Yesterday, I had a "well, you dummy!" moment. It dawned on me that I should adjust the powder funnel down just a touch to increase the bell for the bullets. I know, I should have thought of that before. So I've moved from less than 150/hour to right at 300/hour with that change. Yes I'm still checking each station before pulling the handle. And, no more worries about pinched fingers as the ram rises!

Enjoy your learning curve on the 550b. It's worth it. By the way, I love the word ,"throughput". :D