Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disregard.

chainring

DISREGARD, SELLER LINKED THE WRONG BARREL. I'm picking up a JP15 upper that is a 16 inch barrel, with the rifle length adjustable gas system on it. The lower for which it is destined has a collapsable stock receiver extension on it. Should I plan on putting a Vltor A5 kit on it, or will the adjustable gas block enable me to tune the rifle length gas to work well with the short receiver extension?

I would normally just play with it when I got it, and see what works - but this is a surprise upgrade for my sister (she shoots an aesthetically identical Smith and Wesson VTac upper right now) and I need to be able to upgrade her rifle and adjust it to perfection over the course of a holiday weekend before she leaves. She's not technically oriented and has little patience for malfunctions or "finicky race guns"....if I don't get it right and she has problems during a match with my super-fly upgrade to her previously reliable system, then she's going to be chapped! :)

So...

..buffer weight?

..A5 kit?

..just shoot it on my similar lower with the ammo she uses and tune the gasblock?

..fresh buffer spring? JP spring?

Any tips would be appreciated. I need to get it right the first time.

Thanks!

Edited by chainring

I didn't know JP made a 16 inch barrel with rifle length gas. Their current JP-15 Upper order sheet shows only mid-length gas for a 16" barrel selection. Besides that, I'm afraid I don't have anything to add to your host of questions. Sorry about that.

You're sure it's not an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system? or maybe it's a 16" with mid length gas system?

Either way, you are fine with the standard carbine receiver extension and standard 3oz carbine buffer. That's how my complete JP15 came set up.

Mick