Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first match in 4 years last night...

h4444

Oh man, that was fun. I had forgotten how much I missed the game.

I felt like I moved like a pregnant elephant on ice with some extra weights attached to both legs, but it was fun all the same to get out and sling some lead.

Some observations on the perishable nature of the skills we employ -

• My reloads definitely aren't as smooth as they once were.
  • My draws aren't nearly as quick.
  • My accuracy has declined, it wasn't horrible though, no misses,,,,,but I did manage a few D's - ugh. I was shooting production, so those are just killers.
  • Covered mobility earlier - there may not be a solution here till some OEM equipment is replaced in a decade or so.
    With the exception of mobility, the other items can easily be solved with some repetitions.

Some other observations -

• One thing that hasn't changed, you meet the nicest/friendliest people at USPSA matches. I didn't know a soul at this match when I got there and everyone made me feel welcome.
  • Best pain reliever I know of. I have a pretty severely arthritic knee that has had some other past damage in there as well, but I noticed, from the time the buzzer sounded till the pistol was re-holstered, I didn't notice/feel the normal pain that I have. I could get used to that. :-)
  • The pain relief above was great during the completion of the stages, BUT, the standing between runs was MURDER.....hopefully, as the joint continues to strengthen, that'll improve.
  • Even though I know I'm not going to "out run" anyone and even though I tell myself I'm just shooting for fun,,,,I can't help be push myself competitively.
  • Things came back quickly on planning my approach to stages, shooting positions, reloads, engagement order, pace/cadence, and etc.

Byron