Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nickel Boron Internals

Racer377

I finished with work a bit early and felt like tinkering a bit, so I went into the garage and started cleaning mags and the Shadows in preparation for Ohio. The trigger pull gauge I ordered was sitting on the workbench, and the question occurred to me, "how much did that fancy nickel boron coating on the guts of Shadow #1 actually get me?"

So I set about taking measurements

Shadow #1 - base model shadow. Round hammer, 13# mainspring, very minimal polishing done by me, and the fancy nickel boron on the trigger bow, hammer and hammer strut

6.5lbs DA / 2.5 SA (I didn't have "before" numbers, but subjectively it seems like a huge improvement over the uncoated gun)

Shadow #2 - Shadow Custom Target, comp hammer, 13# mainspring, more extensive polishing done by me, no coatings - 7.25 DA / 3.1 SA. (which is about a 1.25/.5lb improvement over the numbers indicated on the Custom shop test target just from my more detailed polishing)

To be sure it wasn't any differences in mainspring wear, I swapped them. Same results. Seems like this EXO/Fail Zero/Nickel boron hype might be true! I'm likely going to send out Shadow #2 for the coating to get a more comparable result, but the preliminary test here looks promising! I'm thinking the better polish job and comp hammer with the coating should get me right around 6lbs /2lbs with a 13lb main.

Does anyone have before/after numbers on nickel boron or other fancy-pants coatings?

While I don't have a CZ, my STI (in my avatar above) has been coated in Nickel Boron. It cycles buttery smooth and fast when dry. Residue wipes right off of it too. I did not get my hammer or sear coated, but I noticed it feels like the disconnector and hammer (coated strut, and cap) are much more responsive with the slick coating. My extractor claw stays clean too :)

I'm glad you like it, what other parts are coated?

While I don't have a CZ, my STI (in my avatar above) has been coated in Nickel Boron. It cycles buttery smooth and fast when dry. Residue wipes right off of it too. I did not get my hammer or sear coated, but I noticed it feels like the disconnector and hammer (coated strut, and cap) are much more responsive with the slick coating. My extractor claw stays clean too :)

I'm glad you like it, what other parts are coated?

Just the mag brake and the parts mentioned above. I do notice in Shadow #1 with the coated brake, mags drop out ever so slightly easier. Occasionally, on Shadow #2, they hang.

I polished the crap out the brake #2 and it'll get done up in the nickel boron to match. I'm thinking I'll do the whole gun in it, and just have the slide and controls topcoated in black.

Then send Shadow #3 out for the ionbond DLC treatment and have a super-wiz-bang-coating battle royale :)

Edited by Racer377