Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM Duaload / 2 shell loading system

Well after seeing all the talk about different 2 shell loading systems coming out my curiosity was getting the best of me. Lately I saw TACCOM was coming out with their own version called the Duaload at a price that made me take a closer look. First off I am not a paid spokesman for TACCOM. This is not an advertisement or anything like that, just an honest product assessment. I am not nor can I compare them to any of the other loading systems out there as these as the only ones I have seen first hand. I will admit that I've somewhat known the owner for a couple years through his work with the Ruger Rimfire matches and his previous employer before starting his own company, but it's not like we're chillin on the weekends drinking beer together. I had a couple questions on them so I shot Tim a message here. He called me later that evening to address my questions and basically said "look how bout I send you a couple and if you don't like them you don't pay for them". How can one turn down an offer like that. I think I had (2) of his 4-Up loaders at my house about 2 days later.

My opinion:

They appear to be very well made and are a lot sturdier than one would think from the pictures. They are also a little larger than I thought they would be, but after using them it quickly became apparent that the loading technique itself requires a little more real-estate than weak hand off a caddy and well lets face it (2) shotgun shells end to end is 5.5 inches long. My next concern was the clips holding the shells in, but they seem to do just fine and the retention can easily be tweaked to suit the user. I've been practicing going prone and actually went as far as to do a few flying belly-flops onto our bed (the wife's question "Really? Are you 12 years old? Now stop it before you break the bed") LOL. So far I haven't been able to knock a shell out. The caddies I got came set-up for loading weak-hand. For me to get it to work I had to switch them around for loading with my strong hand (I'm right handed). The switch was easy and all I needed was an allen wrench. The carriers I have came with Tek-Locs installed and they can adjusted to be carried straight up and down or canted. I'm still working on which way I like best. Overall I think TACCOM has a high quality product at an affordable price. I don't know exactly what the forum rules are on posting pricing and such, so I'll just say they cost less than a lot of the standard 4 rd caddies. They also come in a 2 and a 6 round configuration which I haven't seen yet.

The 2 shell loading system:

After practicing weak-hand loading from belt caddies for about 4 months I was down to where I could consistently reload 8 in about 7 seconds or just under. Biggest problem I have with weak hand loading is it gets much more difficult when the adrenaline is pumping and really tough when it's cold out and you start to lose the dexterity in your fingers. We shoot matches almost year around here in MN and it can get a tad chilly in the winter months. I spent about 20 minutes working with the Duaload system to hit the same mark that it took me months to hit weak-hand and it seems much less likely to bobble shells in the process. I've been really busy with life lately and haven't hardly had a chance to do any practicing with weak hand so the Duaload is going to be my primary load set-up for the upcoming CMMG Midwest 3-Gun Championships. Luckily TACCOM is going to be at the match, because I needed at least 2 more caddies and it sounds like they will be hand delivered.

Still not going to completely abandon my 6 round caddies yet though. The only fault I can see is you do give up some ammo carrying capacity vs 6 round caddies using the same belt space. For a big shotgun stage that takes more than 16 rounds on a person I may have to go back, but I'll worry about that when the time comes. Another option would be to supplement with the Otto armband shell carrier or something similar, but I don't have one.

That's about all I have for now. If someone was looking to try the 2 shell loading technique without spending a sizable amount of fun coupons. I'd recommend giving the Duaload's a try. I'll get back and follow up with my review when I get back from the match.

Here's a link to TACCOM's website if you want to check out the Duaload's

Edited by Shooter115

I bought a couple of these to try out a few weeks ago, and am very happy with my purchase. I spent a reasonable amount of time tinkering to get the Teklock mountings exactly where I wanted them (and was tempted to get out a drill), but when I got it right, everything worked right (which the timer confirmed). I'll be running both them (and other 2-shell devices) at Colt 3 Man 3 Gun.

After running them for 3 days at the Midwest 3Gun, I can honestly say I really like the DUALOAD caddies. The only time I can remember dropping a shell on the clock is the time I tried to put 11 rounds in my 10 shot tube. Never had a shell drop out of one when it wasn't supposed to either. They took the beating and kept on going strong. No doubt I'll be running them as my main shotgun loading system going forward

Now if someone would just invent something to make me magically shoot my handgun worth a crap. My pistol game was so weak at the match that just thinking about it makes me want to :eatdrink: