Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Rookie Questions

Blockhead

Greetings All,

I'm getting started with loading .308 on my 550 and I have some rookie questions about case prep and my initial load.

1) A good friend gave me a bucket of once fired .308 brass from his LEO training. Most of it has an "FC 308 Win" headstamp. Does the "FC" stand for Federal Cartridge ? Is there a reference out there for headstamps?

2) Most of the brass polished up nicely. However 4-5% have a black tarnish that won't come off. They seem to be ok otherwise. Are they ok to use or shounld I scrap 'em? Here's a couple of photos:

post-7475-0-38150500-1336944759_thumb.jppost-7475-0-06174900-1336944773_thumb.jp

3) Another buddy gave me an RCBS TrimPro that was laying around his shop. I picked up the pilot and shell holder for .308 and started trimming. The books I have call for a "trim-to" length of 2.005". What is the +/- tolerance for the trimmed length of the case? I have some that ran a little short (2.003).

4)I'm planning to load 168 Gr. Hornaday BTHP bullets starting with 39.0 grains of H335 and WLR Primers for an OAL of 2.800". I'll be shooting these through a DPMS LR-308. Any feedback or sugestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,

Charlie Brown

1. Here's a database of headstamps. Your FC is most likely Federal Cartridge, but it could be Mexican or Prvi Partizan.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

2. I personally scrap tarnished brass, mainly just for the cosmetics. Who wants ugly ammo? :)

3. My books also show 2.005 as the trim length. I don't see a tolerance listed. I sure would think 2.003 is perfectly fine. Two thousandths is pretty close. Its hard to get it exact every time. I have an ebook on loading 7.62 x 51 and it lists min length as 2.005 and max as 2.015. I wouldn't worry about 2.003, but would adjust the trimmer for future trims.

4. I don't use H335, so I'm no help there. I've been using TAC so that I can load both 5.56 and .308 with the same powder.

Charlie,

Watch the FC brass, I have had bad luck with it in 223 and 308, drops fired primers into the trigger group, maybe 1 in 500 rounds. I won't use it in gas guns. YMMV

OAL is a bit long, check 2.800 in your mags, I use PMags and load to 2.790, they run and run and run at that length.

Try Varget for your long range rounds, you will be glad you did. Around 45.0gn you will find the majic number that shrinks your groups down to amazing.

Find some cheap 150ish gn fmjs for short range and load the 335 in those.

Try lighter (I use 155 SMKs, I'm going to 125 SMKs if I can get em to group) for long range, higher speed = flatter balistics.

I see you are looking for a RT1200 trimmer, good call! One tool head to process, tumble to remove lube, swage, and load on another tool head.

Lemme know how things are progressing!

jj

eta; oh yea, tarnished brass...load it and shoot it! Dont hafta be purty!

Trim length of 2.005 is good, 2.003 is ok, try to err toward slightly longer vs slightly shorter.

Edited by RiggerJJ